Story highlights Test results are pending from water samples taken at BSR Surf Resort in Waco, Texas This is the only reported case of this infection in 2018, CDC says (CNN)After a 29-year-old man died from an infection with what's commonly known as brain-eating amoeba, health officials are investigating the Texas surf resort he visited. CNN affiliate KVTV identified the man as Fabrizio Stabile of New Jersey, who visited a surf resort at Waco's BSR Cable Park before developing symptoms in September. "There have been no reports of other illnesses, and Naegleria fowleri infection does not spread from person to person," Brittany Behm, spokeswoman at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, wrote in an email. Six questions about the brain-eating amoeba, answered "CDC is testing water samples for Naegleria fowleri and will be working with the local and state health departments on recommendations to provide the facility on how to reduce potential exposures," she … [Read more...] about Water resort closed after death from ‘brain-eating amoeba’
Brain infection symptoms
WACO, Texas -- Test results are expected later this week after a man who visited a landlocked surf resort in Central Texas died from a rare "brain-eating amoeba," local health officials said Monday. Fabrizio Stabile, a 29-year-old surfer from New Jersey, died on September 21 after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri, a rare but deadly amoeba that can cause a brain infection. People are usually infected when contaminated water enters the body through the nose, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Symptoms generally start about five days after infection, with death occurring about five days later, according to the CDC. It wasn't immediately clear when Stabile visited the BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, but the facility voluntarily closed Friday. "The CDC collected water samples and are currently investigating to find the source," Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesman Kelly Craine said, CBS affiliate KBTX-TV reported. … [Read more...] about Texas surf resort tested after surfer dies from “brain-eating amoeba”
Updated 5:47 pm CDT, Monday, October 1, 2018 In this Saturday, July 14, photo-A surfer takes a spill while battling the waves at the BSR Surf resort near Waco, Texas. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is testing at BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort for Naegleria fowleri, which is commonly referred to as a "brain-eating amoeba," officials said. (Rod Aydelotte/Waco Tribune Herald, via AP) less In this Saturday, July 14, photo-A surfer takes a spill while battling the waves at the BSR Surf resort near Waco, Texas. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is testing at BSR Cable Park's Surf ... more Photo: Rod Aydelotte, AP Photo: Rod Aydelotte, AP Image 1 of / 1 Caption Close Image 1 of 1 In this Saturday, July 14, photo-A surfer takes a spill while battling the waves at the BSR Surf resort near Waco, … [Read more...] about Texas surf resort tested after ‘brain-eating amoeba’ death
Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Science Subscribe Log In Subscribe Log In Today’s Paper Advertisement Supported by ByChristine Hauser Oct. 1, 2018 A New Jersey man died after being infected with Naegleria fowleri, also known as the “brain-eating amoeba,” a rare infection that is contracted through the nose in fresh water. The man, Fabrizio Stabile, 29, of Ventnor, N.J., was mowing his lawn on Sept. 16 when he felt ill from a headache, according to his obituary and GoFundMe page. His symptoms worsened and he was taken to the hospital after he became unable to speak coherently. A spinal tap revealed he was infected with the amoeba, and he died on Sept. 21. It is the first confirmed case of the infection in the United States since 2016, an epidemiologist for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Jennifer Cope, said on Monday. Mr. Stabile fell ill after visiting the BSR Cable Park … [Read more...] about A Man Died After Being Infected With Brain-Eating Amoeba. Here’s What You Should Know.
Tuesday, June 26, 2018 by: Zoey Sky Tags: badhealth, biomedical research, cryptococcomas, Cryptococcus gattii, eucalyptus trees, extracellular vesicles, fungal disease, fungal infections, fungal virulence, fungus, immune system, infections, Oregon, vesicles, weak immune system (Natural News) Sometimes, real life is a lot stranger than science fiction – and it’s even scarier. Take, for instance, Cryptococcus gattii – a fungus that lives in soil and is typically found in tropical and subtropical regions. However, anything pleasant about the fungus stops there, as a study in Nature Communications revealed that it can “communicate” with each other to infect more people effectively. Researchers involved in the study said that C. gattii can “[join] forces inside your body to wreak havoc and cause disease.” They noted that the fungal cells take advantage of an unexpected method to “talk” to each other. … [Read more...] about A type of fungus uses a surprising method to talk to each other to infect you better