With COVID-19 cases surging in Karnataka, genome sequencing tests conducted in the state show that Omicron variant is still dominating in the state. In this regard, Karnataka Health Minister Dr K Sudhakar tweeted on Wednesday stating that most people with COVID-19 symptoms are infected by the BA.2 sub-variant of the Omicron variant of novel coronavirus.
"Which strain is dominating in Karnataka? As per the genome sequencing sample: March 2021 – December 2021: 90.7% Delta January 2022 – April 2022: 87.80% Omicron May 2022 – June 2022: 99.20% Omicron," Sudhakar tweeted. According to him, amongst the Omicron variants, currently BA.1.1.529 and BA.1 have dipped to 8.60 per cent and 0.04 per cent, respectively.
However, BA.2 sub-lineage has increased from 80.60 per cent to 89.40 per cent since May, the minister tweeted. Sudhakar said the new variants — BA.3, BA.4 and BA.5 — are observed to be in their nascent phases.
The data shared by him shows that last year from March to December, Delta and its sub-lineages dominated but this year Omicron was the dominant variant of the novel coronavirus. The state had on Tuesday reported 738 fresh cases while on Monday there were 530 new infections. There were, however, zero fatalities on both days.
According to the health officials, the latest surge in cases is due to Omicron, which is not a deadly variant as compared to Delta that had wreaked havoc in 2021.
- Genomic sequencing: what it is and how it's being used against Covid-19 in Victoria
- Congo to use Ebola vaccine as early as next week: health minister
- Question Time: Fiona Bruce in fiery row with health minister over track and trace 'loopholes'
- 20 Years On, Human Genome Project Helps Drive COVID-19 Research
- From super-spreader Boris to Classic Dom's eyesight test: daily briefing hits
- Nearly 1,500 deaths in one day: UK ministers accused of downplaying Covid-19 peak
- Research shows COVID-19's current dominant strain more infectious than original
- Coronavirus | Focus on Kerala as 84 test positive in a day
- Karnataka plans law to home-quarantine senior citizens, says Sudhakar
- Karnataka minister rules out full lockdown in Bengaluru
- UK lockdown could last until June, Dominic Raab says
- Covid-19: 10 states, 1 UT to allow rapid antigen tests
- PLATELL'S PEOPLE: How could Dominic Cummings undermine his own boss so selfishly?
- Karnataka: Video shows PPE-clad workers dragging, dumping bodies in pit
- Coronavirus strikes UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, his health secretary and his chief medical adviser
- NHS test-and-trace system 'not fully operational until September'
- Darwin man tests positive after returning from hot spot in Melbourne
- Covid-19 pandemic: New, more infectious strain of coronavirus now dominates global cases
- Current dominant strain of COVID-19 more infectious than original ― Study
- Karnataka minister's father tests positive for Covid-19
Genome Sequencing Tests Show Omicron Dominating in Karnataka: Health Minister have 425 words, post on www.news18.com at June 22, 2022. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.