A 26-year-old BESCOM lineman, while working Devarabeesanahalli, was accidentally electrocuted and was brought to the Sakra World Hospital Emergency by his colleagues and the police on the morning of 2nd December.
There was no heartbeat when he arrived at the emergency department.
His heart was affected by an abnormal rhythm called Ventricular fibrillation, where the electrical activity of the heart becomes erratic and uncontrolled, and the heart muscle fails to contract with its usual synchrony effectively stopping the heart. In victims of electrocution, this is could be one of the causes of instant death. When the heart stops the brain is starved of oxygen and there are only minutes left before it begins to undergo irreversible cell death. Survivors of cardiac arrests like this, often land in a vegetative state, especially if CPR was late and the brain was deprived of oxygen for too long.
Having received the victim in the resuscitation bay at SWH, our emergency team were able to revert this abnormal rhythm with multiple shocks and medications while they maintained his vital functions by artificial means. This ensured that the victim’s brain received oxygenated blood while the normal function of the heart could be restored.
Dr Bevin D’Silva – Head & Senior Consultant, Department of Emergency Medicine, Sakra World Hospital, says “Ventricular fibrillation is seen in most of the cardiac arrest, this can be brought on by heart attacks or electrolyte imbalances most commonly, and in this case, it was caused by a sizeable electric shock. Most victims with ventricular fibrillation, unfortunately, arrive dead at the hospital.
What Is Ventricular Fibrillation?
Ventricular fibrillation (V-fib) is a dangerous type of arrhythmia or irregular heartbeat and it affects the heart’s ventricles, says Hopkinsmedicine.org. It is a rapid, life-threatening heart rhythm starting in the bottom chambers of the heart. A human heart is a muscle system that contains 4 chambers; the 2 bottom chambers are the ventricles. In a healthy heart, your blood pumps evenly in and out of these chambers. This keeps blood flowing throughout your body.
An arrhythmia that starts in your ventricle is called ventricular fibrillation. This occurs when the electrical signals that tell your heart muscle to pump cause your ventricles to quiver (fibrillate) instead. The quivering means that your heart is not pumping blood out to your body. In some people, V-fib may happen several times a day. This is called an “electrical storm.” And sustained V-fib can lead to cardiac arrest and death, it requires immediate medical attention.
The treatment of Ventricular fibrillation ironically is another controlled “shock” that helps rectify the rhythm. The team worked for around 90 minutes, correcting various imbalances in the pH of his blood, electrolytes etc. and put the patient on advanced life support. Subsequently, a tightly controlled temperature drop was initiated in the emergency department itself to further improve the preservation of brain function.
This case in particular highlights the importance of starting Cardiopulmonary resuscitation or CPR early. This is a skill that can be learnt and performed by anyone. It is a technique of rhythmically compressing the chest and artificially pumping blood containing precious oxygen to the victim’s brain. A victim brought in with ongoing CPR by a bystander stands a good chance of surviving the event as the brain will be preserved till professional help can restore the underlying causes and restore normal cardiac function.
This victim is fortunate to have been close to the hospital, prompt action on the spot by his colleagues and the police preserved his life and brought him to an emergency department capable of conducting an advanced resuscitation and ultimately resulting in his survival.”
About Sakra World Hospital
Located at Outer Ring Road, Marathahalli, Bengaluru, Karnataka, Sakra World Hospital, a Japanese brand under the leadership of Toyota Tsusho and SECOM is India’s first MNC hospital. It is a 350-bed hospital, providing healthcare across all specialities such as Neuro Sciences, Cardiac Sciences, Orthopaedics, Women and Child Health, Digestive and Hepatobiliary Sciences, Renal Sciences, Emergency and Trauma Care. There are 12 integrated modular operation theatres (OTs) with cutting-edge, state-of-the-art technologies like OR integration solution that features video input recording, saving and displaying from a range of sources like surgical camera, peripheral camera and MIS camera.
offer of the daySale: Get Huge Discounts On Top Brands Of Body Massagers
healthSame COVID Vaccine Given As First 2 Doses To Be Administered As Precaution Dose: Government
healthComputer Model Predicts Omicron May Evolve To Increase Transmission, Immune Escape
healthWorld's Most Advanced Artificial Heart To Be Developed By IIT Kanpur With Hridyantra
wellnessAmazing Health Benefits Of Black Garlic: Good For The Heart, Digestive Health And Immunity
healthOmicron Likely To Be Dominant Strain Globally In 2022: Singapore Experts
healthCOVID-19: Urvashi Rautela Launches India’s First Saliva-Based COVID Home Test Kit – Angcard
horoscopeYearly Health Horoscope 2022: Astrological Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
wellnessWorld AIDS Day 2021: How To Take Care Of HIV Positive Family Member Or If You Are An HIV Patient
healthAlert! Scientists Detect New COVID-19 Variant In South Africa: Know All About It
healthCOVID Update: 10,302 New COVID-19 Cases In India In 24 Hours
babyWorld Pneumonia Day: Childhood Pneumonia Mainly Responsible For Under-5 Deaths In India And Globally
- Britain's daily coronavirus deaths and new infections drop almost a THIRD: Signs of hope as 439 fatalities are recorded in a day - the lowest 24-hour toll in almost a week - and the UK records 3,802 new cases - 2,000 less than yesterday
- Teenager dies of coronavirus in UK: Boy, 18, from Coventry is one of 47 new deaths in 24 hours as toll hits 281 and total cases leaps 665 to 5683
- 'Like a bomb had gone off on either side of their chest.' London doctors speak of 'continuous tsunami'
- UK announces 627 more coronavirus deaths taking official number of victims to 32,692 - but separate grim statistics suggest the TRUE death toll could be around 45,000
- Death rate continues to drop: UK announces 428 more coronavirus deaths taking Britain's total official figure to 33,614
- UK announces 494 more coronavirus deaths taking official fatality count to 33,186 as Britain's leading statistician warns the number of victims each day is NOT falling as fast as officials hoped
- Boris Johnson admits UK's coronavirus death toll is 'appalling' but insists lockdown will be eased on MONDAY - after figures revealed Britain has the worst fatality numbers in Europe
- Eight million 'vulnerable' workers should not leave lock-down, study warns (and 587,000 could die if 80% of people catch it within a year)
- UK becomes first country in Europe to surpass 30,000 coronavirus deaths with 649 more victims prompting calls for an inquiry and Boris admitting the numbers are 'appalling' - as officials reveal more than 200,000 Brits have now tested positive
- Boris Johnson faces ANOTHER night in hospital: PM 'will follow doctors' orders' amid rising concerns over 'persistent' coronavirus cough and temperature - as Dominic Raab admits he hasn't spoken to him since Saturday
- Funeral director claims coronavirus deaths are going unreported in care homes where up to 1,000 UK residents have died after 'ageist' GPs refused to visit or send them to hospital
- From Black Death to fatal flu, past pandemics show why people on the margins suffer most
- Africa will ESCAPE a massive death toll from COVID-19 because its population is young and fit - but one in five people on the continent will still catch the coronavirus, WHO predicts
- 'We cannot afford to wait for a vaccine which may never arrive': Children's tsar warns unions and ministers to 'stop squabbling' in reopening row as Hartlepool joins Liverpool in REFUSING to restart classes on June 1 and doctors warn it's too risky
- Coronavirus UK LIVE: Dominc Raab sets out different lockdown guidelines to Boris Johnson as deaths hit 31,855
- What you must know about Mumbai's COVID-19 deaths
- Under Trump, American exceptionalism means poverty, misery and death
- Illinois Coronavirus Update May 15: 90,369 Cases, 4,058 Deaths
- Labour's Corona crash: Damning exposé of Welsh Assembly's fatally cack-handed response shows how the Opposition would have fared if they were handling this crisis
- Almost 10,000 care home residents have now died from coronavirus in the UK as official figures reveal 25% of all victims are in care homes - and data suggests Britain's true death toll could be almost 45,000
What Is Ventricular Fibrillation? Doctors Save A BESCOM Worker From Death By Fatal Electrocution have 1380 words, post on www.boldsky.com at January 15, 2022. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.