The India Open 2022 tournament was on Thursday rocked by the COVID-19 pandemic, with as many as seven Indian shuttlers, including reigning world championship silver medallist Kidambi Srikanth, withdrawing from the event after testing positive for the virus. The Badminton World Federation (BWF) announced this in the wee hours, before the Badminton Association of India (BAI) confirmed the names.
Besides Srikanth, the other players withdrawn are Ashwini Ponnappa, Ritika Rahul Thkar, Treesa Jolly, Mithun Manjunath, Simran Aman Singh and Khushi Gupta.
“The players returned a positive result to a mandatory RT-PCR test conducted on Tuesday. Doubles partners deemed close contact of the seven players have also been withdrawn from the tournament,” the world governing body said in a statement. “The players will not be replaced in the main draw and their opponents will be given a walkover to the next round.”
N Sikki Reddy, Dhruv Kapila, Gayatri Gopichand, Akshan Shetty and Kavya Gupta were also pulled out of the competition after being deemed closed contacts of the infected. They, however, didn’t test positive for the virus.
While Sikki partners Ashwini in women’s doubles, Dhruv plays mixed doubles with Sikki, Akshan forms the mixed doubles team with Simran, while Kavya is the women’s doubles partner of Khushi. Initially, the BWF didn’t reveal the names of the seven players. Earlier, B Sai Praneeth, the 2019 world championship bronze medallist, double specialists Manu Attri and Dhruv Rawat had tested positive for the virus ahead of their departure for the national capital and had pulled out before the start of the tournament.
The entire England badminton contingent had also withdrawn ahead of the Super 500 event after the country’s doubles specialist Sean Vendy and coach Nathan Robertson tested positive for the virus.
Organised by the BAI, the 2022 edition of India Open is being held behind closed doors at the Indira Gandhi Stadium’s KD Jadhav Indoor Hall.
As per the COVID-19 protocols, all the participating players are being tested everyday at the hotel and outside the stadium. Two-time Olympic medallist P V Sindhu, World Championships silver and bronze medallists Kidambi Srikanth and Lakshya Sen, London Games bronze winner Saina Nehwal are among the Indian players who have reached the second round of the tournament.
womenALSO READ: PV Sindhu Wins Bronze At Tokyo Olympics 2020: Lesser Known Facts About India’s Best Shuttler
Among top international stars, world champion Loh Kean Yew, three-time men’s doubles world champion Mohammad Ahsan, and Thailand’s Busanan Ongbamrungphan are competing in the tournament, which is being hosted for the first time in three years following the cancellation of the last two editions due to the pandemic.
Delhi reported 27,561 COVID-19 cases, the second-highest single-day rise since the pandemic began, and 40 deaths on Wednesday.
healthDelta Still Dominant Strain Of COVID-19, Says Maharashtra Health Official Amid Omicron Scare
womenMithali Raj And Indian Women’s Cricket Team To Quarantine In Mumbai Ahead Of Women’s World Cup 2022 Departure
healthMedia Reports Stating Vaccine Shortage In Maharashtra Are Not Factually Correct: Govt
wellnessDeadly Delta Wave Stole 2,40,000 Lives In India, ‘Similar Episodes’ Could Take Place Soon: UN Report
healthMedia Reports Claiming Under-Reporting Of COVID Deaths Ill-Informed, Baseless & Misleading: Govt
healthAstrazeneca Vaccine As Third Dose Effective Against Omicron: Study
healthIndia Reports 2,47,417 New Coronavirus Cases, Highest Since May 2021
kidsRajasthan Govt Defers Class 12 Practical Exams Due To Spike In COVID Cases
art cultureOmicron: Berlin International Film Festival 2022 As Per Schedule With Reduced Capacity And No Parties
wellnessCorbevax: What Do We Know About Biological E’s New COVID-19 Vaccine?
wellnessPaxlovid: South Korea Gets First Supply Of Pfizer’s COVID-19 Pills; Read Details
healthWeekly Case Positivity In 300 Districts Over 5%, Don't Treat Omicron As Common Cold: Government
- US Open 2020: Unnamed player withdrawn at Flushing Meadows due to positive COVID-19 test
- UGC final year exams: Students ‘feel cheated’ by decision to hold tests amidst COVID-19
- Paire out of US Open after positive Covid-19 test
- No more positive COVID-19 tests among A’s, quarantine soon might be over
- AP source: Paire out of US Open after positive COVID-19 test
- Sports news feed: Spain winger to miss Germany Nations League game after positive COVID-19 test
- IPL 2020: Current India bowler, multiple staff members of CSK test positive for COVID-19
- PSG announce 'three new positive' Covid-19 cases, six in total
- Lakeview Elementary Class Quarantined After Positive COVID-19 Case, Everyone Else Back On Campus
- California Senate Meets As GOP Senators Tested For COVID-19
- Paire out of US Open after positive COVID-19 test
- IPL 2020: India cricketer among several CSK members to test positive for Covid-19
- India's federal minister Krishan Pal Gurjar tests positive for COVID-19
- Researchers develop faster method to test for Covid-19
- Tennis: Players frustrated to be in 'bubble within a bubble' after positive COVID-19 test
- CFB's first major test against COVID-19 is in the Deep South
- Eight new positive COVID-19 cases take total to 195 in Bhutan
- State's colleges and universities set up way to report positive COVID-19 cases by campus
- Oakland A’s Have Positive COVID-19 Test, Postpone Sunday Game Against Astros
- India lags peers in heading back to office amid COVID-19
India Open 2022: Kidambi Srikanth And 6 Other Shuttlers Withdrawn After Testing Positive For COVID-19 have 898 words, post on www.boldsky.com at January 13, 2022. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.