The Omicron variant of Covid-19 is “almost unstoppable” and everyone will eventually be infected with it, a top government expert told NDTV. Booster vaccine doses won’t stop the rapid spread of the virus, he added. ”It makes no difference. The infection will occur. It has occurred all over the world regardless of this,” he said about the booster doses.
Stressing that Covid is “not a frightening disease anymore” as the new strain is milder and is leading to much less hospitalisation, he said that it’s a disease we can deal with.
“We are dealing with quite a different virus. It’s much milder than Delta, as you all know. Not only that, it is practically unstoppable,” Dr Jaiprakash Muliyil, epidemiologist and chairperson of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the National Institute of Epidemiology at the Indian Council of Medical Research, said, adding that Omicron presents itself just like the cold.
Claiming that natural immunity through infection could be lifelong and that’s why India has not been as badly affected as many other countries, he said that 85% of the country was already infected before the vaccines were introduced in the country and hence, the first dose was essentially a booster dose.
”Well, there is a philosophy world over that natural infection doesn’t impart any lasting immunity. Now, that is a philosophy which I think is wrong,” he said.
Pointing out that no medical bodies suggested booster doses, Dr Muliyil said they won’t stop the natural progression of the epidemic. Arguing the same against the testing of asymptomatic close contacts of Covid patients, he said the virus doubles infection in just two days, so even before the test detects its presence, the infected person has already spread it to a large number of people.
“So even when you test, you are far far behind. It is not something that will make any difference in the evolution of the epidemic,” he said.
“We have not suggested booster dose so far from any of the bodies of the government. To my knowledge, the precautionary dose was just suggested, because there are reports that certain people, mostly in the age group above 60, did not respond to two doses,” he said.
“A majority of us will not know we have been infected, probably more than 80% will not even know when we have it,” he said.
When asked why we have assumed that only 60 plus individuals have comorbidities in this country and why can’t 40 plus individuals have comorbidities, and hence, why aren’t they being given the precautionary dose, he said that precautionary dose is given for people with a high risk of “immunological non response”.
“Just because you have heart disease or diabetes, it doesn’t usually mean immunological incompetence. On the other hand, some other conditions like people going for renal transplant, there is quite a lot immunological depression,” he added.
With Inputs From NDTV.com
healthDelhi Govt To Start Online Yoga Classes For Covid Patients In Home Isolation From Wednesday
healthMolnupiravir Not To Be Included In COVID-19 Clinical Management Protocol: ICMR
healthThird Wave Of COVID Has Begun, Will Peak By January End: Maharashtra Health Minister
healthCommon Cold T Cells May Offer Protection Against COVID-19: UK Study
healthContacts Of Confirmed COVID Cases Don’t Need To Get Tested Unless Identified As High Risk: Govt
disorders cureDeltacron: Is It A New COVID Strain? A Combination Of Delta And Omicron? Explained
decorHow To Make Your Home Guest-Friendly In A Few Minutes, Especially Amidst The Pandemic
healthColumbia University Study: Mylab's CoviSelf Can Detect Omicron Variant Successfully
healthData Shows Omicron Variant Driving Third Wave Of Pandemic Across States In India
healthIndia Reports Over 1.5 Lakh New COVID-19 Cases, Omicron Tally At 3,623
wellnessHow To Get Covid Vaccination Certificate On WhatsApp: Step-By-Step Guide
disorders cureCOVID-19 Vaccination: How To Register For ‘Precaution’ Dose – Online Appointments Begin January 8
- Robredo, medical experts discuss ways to curb rising COVID-19 cases in CamSur
- DR ELLIE CANNON: What can I do about dry eyes… that just won't stop streaming?
- Covid vaccine: Too early to say if booster dose needed
- NHS plans to mine patient records is a colossal invasion of privacy – and it won’t stop there
- Some medically vulnerable Texans feel left behind as the state returns to normal
- Hay fever could see drivers fined up to £5,000 and points on your licence, experts warn
- How Scientists Could Stop the Next Pandemic Before It Starts
- George Floyd’s cause of death was ‘undetermined’ rather than a homicide, expert says
- How to stop itchy eyes - Simple tips for managing hay fever symptoms
- Can ADHD Medication Prevent Suicide?
- Uneven vaccination rates across the US linked to Covid-19 case trends, worry experts
- Top medic tells govt to speed up jab effort
- Canada has a new law on medical assistance in dying. Here’s what it means
- Many Evangelicals say they won't be vaccinated against Covid-19. Some experts say distrust and misinformation have played a role
- A safer time might be just months away. But don't abandon Covid-19 safety measures yet, experts say
- How to stop feeling sick after drinking: 4 proven hangover cures
- A year after nursing home visits stopped, residents and families eager for reopening
- Medics dying, infections soaring — it’s still the economy?
- Vaccine protection may diminish need for yearly boosters
- Vaccine hesitancy explained in full as experts blast Matt Hancock over Bolton claims
Everyone Will Get Omicron, Boosters Won't Stop It: Top Medical Expert have 920 words, post on www.boldsky.com at January 12, 2022. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.