The year begins on a hopeful note, unlike the last one, with a number of vaccines made available against COVID-19. Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) has, in December last year, granted Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to yet another vaccine, CORBEVAX, making it the eighth vaccine to have EUA in the country. How effective is CORBEVAX against COVID-19 and when will the vaccine be available in India? Know everything you need to know about CORBEVAX.
Caption: Peter Hotez and Maria Bottezi, the developers of Corbevax.
Image credits: Livemint
What is CORBEVAX vaccine?
Dubbed “The World’s COVID-19 Vaccine”, CORBEVAX was developed by Texas Children’s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine-the production is licenced to Hyderabad-based vaccine and pharmaceutical company Biological E. Limited.
Dr. Peter Hotez, Professor and Dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor and Co-Director of the Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Vaccine Development and Dr. Maria Elena Bottazzi, Professor and Associate are the brains behind CORBEVAX  .
“Our decade-long studies advancing coronavirus vaccine prototypes has led to the creation of this vaccine, which will fill the access gap created by the more expensive, newer vaccine technologies and that today are still not able to be quickly scaled for global production.” said Dr. Maria Elena Bottazzi.
“Our vaccine technology offers a path to address an unfolding humanitarian crisis, namely the vulnerability the low- and middle-income countries face against the delta variant,” said Dr. Peter Hotez.
How CORBEVAX vaccine works
CORBEVAX is India’s first indigenously developed protein sub-unit COVID-19 Vaccine.
A protein subunit vaccine is developed by including only components or antigens of the disease causing virus that best stimulate a person’s immune system when attacked by the same virus. Protein subunit COVID vaccines are safe as specific isolated proteins which boot immune response are not capable of causing the disease.
CORBEVAX is developed from the spike protein on the virus’s body, which the virus uses to latch on and enter human cells. When injected CORBEVAX helps the body build the immune response against the virus  .
Image credit: Freepik
Efficacy of CORBEVAX vaccine
After completing two Phase 3 clinical trials involving more than 3000 subjects between the ages of 18 and 80 at 33 study sites across India, CORBEVAX “was found to be safe, well tolerated and immunogenic”, according to a report published by Biological E. Limited  .
CORBEVAX demonstrated superior immune response in comparison with the Covishield vaccine when assessed for Neutralising Antibody (nAb) Geometric Mean Titers (GMT) against the Ancestral-Wuhan strain and the globally dominant Delta variant. CORBEVAX vaccination also generated a significant Th1 skewed cellular immune response, the report states.
CORBEVAX nAb GMT against the Delta strain indicates a vaccine effectiveness of >80 percent for the prevention of symptomatic infections based on published studies.
While none of the subjects who took CORBEVAXTM or COVISHIELD had serious adverse events, CORBEVAX had 50 percent fewer adverse events than COVISHIELD, according to the report.
When will CORBEVAX be available in India?
Biological E. Limited plans to complete production at a rate of 75 Million doses per month, anticipating 100+ million doses per month from February 2022. These capacities will enable the Hyderabad-based company to deliver 300 Million doses as promised to the Government of India. Soon, the company plans to deliver more than one billion additional doses globally. An official statement published by Biological E. Limited claims 
kidsRajasthan Govt Defers Class 12 Practical Exams Due To Spike In COVID Cases
art cultureOmicron: Berlin International Film Festival 2022 As Per Schedule With Reduced Capacity And No Parties
wellnessPaxlovid: South Korea Gets First Supply Of Pfizer’s COVID-19 Pills; Read Details
healthIndia Open 2022: Kidambi Srikanth And 6 Other Shuttlers Withdrawn After Testing Positive For COVID-19
healthWeekly Case Positivity In 300 Districts Over 5%, Don't Treat Omicron As Common Cold: Government
wellnessExpert Article: Why Genome Sequencing And Personalised Medicine Are Important For Indian Healthcare
healthDelhi Govt To Start Online Yoga Classes For COVID-19 Patients In Home Isolation From Wednesday
healthEveryone Will Get Omicron, Boosters Won’t Stop It: Top Medical Expert
healthMolnupiravir Not To Be Included In COVID-19 Clinical Management Protocol: ICMR
healthThird Wave Of COVID Has Begun, Will Peak By January End: Maharashtra Health Minister
healthCommon Cold T Cells May Offer Protection Against COVID-19: UK Study
healthContacts Of Confirmed COVID Cases Don’t Need To Get Tested Unless Identified As High Risk: Govt
- As cholera raged in Yemen, warring factions blocked vaccines
- We stop discovering new music at age 30, a new survey suggests — here are the scientific reasons why this could be
- Vaccines blocked as deadly cholera raged across Yemen
- Congo health ministry confirms two Ebola cases in new outbreak
- What we know about the Canadians killed in the Ethiopian Airlines crash
- Teaching new moms how to soothe infants might make vaccinations less stressful
- A family, environmentalists and humanitarians: What we know about the Canadians killed in the Ethiopian Airlines crash
- 19 insider facts about shopping at Costco only employees know
- What we know so far about the watery lake beneath the surface of Mars
- Eleanor Lee: 7 things to know about actor Peter Yu's estranged daughter
- Court of Appeal sends sexual abuse case back to trial judge to hear new evidence
- How Hong Kong's unrest is spilling onto New York campuses
- Ethics: the questions posed by our bionic bodies
- Senators oppose use of Dengvaxia
- Bill Gates says a pandemic flu could kill 30 million people — these are the deadly diseases that scare experts the most
- Dengvaxia suspected in doctor’s death
- Bill Gates revealed a scary simulation that shows how a deadly flu could kill more than 30 million people within 6 months
- The secret behind Beyonce's bootylicious bounceback: The superstar credits nutritionist Marco Borges for her speedy weight loss after giving birth to twins... and you don’t need to be an A-list mum to benefit
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation says there’s opportunity in these 13 areas to make the world better
- A complete guide to choosing the best Open Electricity Market (OEM) plan for your home
Corbevax: What Do We Know About Biological E's New COVID-19 Vaccine? have 1017 words, post on www.boldsky.com at January 13, 2022. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.