THERE is nothing better on a hot day than a tasty ice cream. And it is super-simple to whip up for yourself.
Try my recipes for a classic vanilla, a vegan recipe, a low-fat yoghurt and an indulgent chocolate. Each are quick to make and perfect to keep in the freezer. Enjoy.
Instant strawberry iced yogurt
Serves 4 – 54p per portion
Preparation time: 1 minute.
- 125ml natural yogurt
- 100g frozen strawberries
- 1 tbsp honey
- Do not defrost the fruit. Put the three ingredients in a blender and whizz for 30 seconds.
- You'll have an instant ready-to-serve soft-scoop ice cream.
Indulgent vanilla ice cream
Serves 16 – 82p per person
Preparation time: 5 minutes.
Cooking time: 20 minutes.
Freezing time: 4-5 hours.
- 1 litre double cream
- 300ml full fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250g caster sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream and milk and warm slowly.
- Split the vanilla pod lengthways with a sharp knife. Scrape out the seeds and add to the milk, and add the pod too. Add half the sugar. Allow it to just come to the boil. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks together with the remaining sugar in a bowl.
- Put a third of the cream mixture from the pan into the egg mixture and whisk. Pour that egg mixture into the remaining hot cream and return to the heat until the mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Do not boil.
- Strain the custard in a sieve and chill until cold.
- Put into a freezable container and freeze for 4-5 hours, stirring once an hour until it is almost frozen.
- It will keep in the freezer for three months but don't take it out then refreeze because this gives a food poisoning risk.
Chocolate creme fraiche ice cream
Serves 8 – 68p per person
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Cooking time: 30 minutes.
Freezing time: 2 hours.
- 170g Morrisons dark chocolate, chopped
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 450ml creme fraiche
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend the chocolate and milk together in a blender on high until smooth.
- Add the creme fraiche, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Blend again until the sugar has dissolved.
- If you have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into it and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions until it reaches "soft-serve" consistency.
- Transfer the ice cream to a lidded plastic container, cover surface with cling film and seal.
- For best results, ice cream should set in the freezer at least two hours or overnight. No ice cream maker? Pour into a freezer-safe container and cover with a lid or cling film.
- Every hour take it out and give it a good stir. It should be frozen after 4 or 5 hours.
Vegan banana ice cream
Serves 2 – 25p per serving
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
- 2 large frozen bananas, cut into small chunks
- 250ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of chopped pecans
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon, or to taste
Most read in Fabulous
- Blend the bananas, almond milk, pecans and cinnamon together in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Because the bananas are frozen, it will come out like soft ice cream.
- Give yourself a much-needed February boost with Mrs Crunch’s fresh recipes
- UK weather forecast: 16 inches of snow to hit Britain - will it fall in your area?
- UK weather: Eight inches of snow, floods and -15C blast as Britain battered by icy blast
- 12 Products That Delighted Us Last Week: From Bras to Bumblebee Ice Packs
- So hot, they needed to cool off! The Bachelor's Chelsie McLeod and her model boyfriend Ricki DeHaan look smitten at the beach in Melbourne following her heartbreaking split from Matt Agnew
- Hot in the city: Temperature records broken across Canterbury
- Martine McCutcheon twins with her lookalike son Rafferty in cosy cream knitted jumpers as they pose for a sweet snap
- Met Office weather forecast LIVE: Warning of power cuts and stranded drivers as snow and floods cause severe disruption
- You can now buy hot cross bun LOAVES in the run up to Easter
- Best ice scrapers 2021: from ice scraper mitts to telescopic ice scrapers
- UK weather: Big freeze incoming with temperatures plunging and snow and ice warnings
- UK weather: Up to 15 inches of snow expected after weekend of heavy rain and flood chaos
- ‘Hero’ dad builds his kids an ice rink in their back garden for just £27
- Penny-pinchers share secrets to being thrifty at home, from bagging designer products for less to freezing EVERYTHING
- Make your home warmer this winter without spending money – from a tin foil trick to putting bubble wrap on your windows
- Self-isolating: 46 things to do if you're bored at home during the third national lockdown
- Winter wonderland... then winter woes: UK is set for another four inches of snow today after -8C lows overnight before week-long deluge starts tomorrow putting homes in 75 areas at risk of more flooding
- Keihl’s launches Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream with 24 hour hydration – and it’s perfect for lockdown skin
- Costa’s added 5 items to its menu including toffee spiced hot chocolate
- The best home products for winter: Coffee makers, fire pits and other cozy devices
Cool off during the hot weather with Mrs Crunch’s home-made ice cream have 949 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at June 5, 2021. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.