Source: pexels Jessica Lewis ID 191415 Body image is scrutinized in Western cultures. We judge a book by its cover, and we have social media and Hollywood to thank. There is a standard, and if one does not meet the specifications of beauty and desirability, they will suffer the consequences. It is common to hear both boys and girls teased about appearance in childhood . Some grow up in households where an emphasis is placed on appearance or ideal body size or shape. Some might argue women are held to a more complicated and often unattainable standard. This may be due to women having a higher requirement to fit a mold than men and more body parts to judge. The Bradley University “Body Project” revealed women and men, boys and girls, may share body image risk factors and consequences of negative body image. However, studies point toward males being affected a little less severely than females. The male body image is distinguished from female body image in several ways: Men seem to be more prone to ‘atypical’ eating disorders and substance abuse than women. Men tend to be quieter about their body negativity, seeking treatment less frequently or holding off… Read full this story
- 'It was very painful': Strictly's Shirley Ballas reveals she had a furious spat with Craig Revel Horwood after he 'body-shamed her fake breasts'
- 'Tom's jaw dropped': Giovanna Fletcher reveals McFly singer's shock over post baby body-shaming incident as she praises her bump for working 'miracles'
- Duck Dynasty star Sadie Robertson developed an eating disorder after being body shamed following Dancing With The Stars
- 'It rarely feels like it, but the pain eases': Little Mix's Jade Thirlwall shares cryptic message after it's revealed Jesy Nelson is taking an 'extended break' from the band
- Gender equality and female empowerment as a norm
- Women in mid-30s may never know equal pay in their working lives
- Germany: Brandenburg court overturns gender quota for party candidate lists
- UK Equality Commissioner: Modern Feminism Hurts Women, No Due Process #MeToo Hurts Men
- Hanoi Symphony concert to convey message on gender equality
- Feminists: Joe Biden Support for LGBT Equality Act Would Harm Women’s Rights
Body Shaming is a Shared Equal Gender Opportunity have 351 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at May 3, 2021. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.