Source: Photo by Yuris Alhumaydy on Unsplash It is well known that depression —and certain drug treatments for depression, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors ( SSRIs )—can lower sexual interest, desire, and activity levels. However, it turns out that the story of how depression and sex are connected is more complicated than that. Depression can affect different people, and their sex lives, in very different ways. In addition to being linked to a lack of sexual activity, research has found that depression is also linked to increased sexual risk-taking. Most notably, this includes having more unprotected or condomless sex. In other words, depression can potentially increase and decrease sexual activity. How do we explain this pattern of results? Why Depression Affects Different People In Different Ways It was once thought that these opposing effects might be due to differences in depression severity. Specifically, some researchers argued that lower levels of depression were probably linked to more risk-taking, while higher levels were probably linked to less sexual activity overall. However, recent research has found that this is not the case. In fact, what the data reveal is that higher levels of depression are linked to more risk-taking than lower levels… Read full this story
- Do YOU have 'risk taking' genes? Researchers find variations linked to everything from risky sex to getting drunk and driving fast cars
- Depression, stress and loneliness weaken the body's immune system and could reduce the effectiveness of Covid-19 vaccines, study warns
- Is your brain sleep deprived? Low mood, depression, forgetfulness and even Alzheimer's can be linked to tiredness... so check out our ways to reduce your dementia risk
- Have sex upside down, try a no-hands orgasm and take sex confession: Are YOU game to try the 10 sex challenges Tracey Cox swears will snap you out of that lockdown sex rut?
- Disabled sex offender, 49, who was snared by paedophile hunters trying to meet girls, 13, for sex is SPARED jail by judge because 'years of bullying' have made him 'a victim himself'
- Having lots of oral sex at a young age ‘increases risk of mouth cancer’
- From sex bans to walking over a rickety bridge, how to scientifically improve your relationship
- Teens see sex work as easy cash and are tempted by 'sugar daddies', expert claims
- Sarah Jessica Parker confirms there will NOT be a fourth character in Sex And The City revival... after Kim Cattrall made thinly-veiled swipe at former castmates
- Kim Cattrall offers veiled reaction to Sex And The City revival moving ahead without her... after years of 'feuding' with Sarah Jessica Parker
The Complex Link Between Depression and Sex have 419 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at April 7, 2021. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.