On the eve of her graduation from Yale in 2012, Marina Keegan wrote an essay that, within about a week, would be read by well over a million people from 98 nations. It was called ” The Opposite of Loneliness .” But what is the opposite of loneliness ? Keegan opened her essay by noting that we don’t have a word for it, but whatever it is, she found it at Yale: “It is not quite love and it’s not quite community; it’s just this feeling that there are people, an abundance of people, who are in this together. Who are on your team. When the check is paid and you stay at the table. When it’s four A.M. and no one goes to bed… “Yale is full of tiny circles we pull around ourselves. A cappella groups, sports teams, houses, societies, clubs. These tiny groups that make us feel loved and safe and part of something even on our loneliest nights…” That essay opens a collection of Keegan’s writings published under the same title, ” The Opposite of Loneliness .” (Here is my review of it.) The question it poses, what is the opposite of loneliness, still resonates. I… Read full this story
- Larry Kramer’s Secret
- Killing of Palestinian man with autism draws Floyd parallel
- Werner Herzog: 'I'm fascinated by trash TV. The poet must not avert his eyes'
- Get ready to say goodbye to 5-day work week; post-Covid future will be split between office and home
- Rashami Desai Is A Sight To Behold In A White Ethnic Attire In Tamas Poster And We’re Speechless!
- The American Nursing Home Is a Design Failure
What Is the Opposite of Loneliness? have 271 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at February 27, 2021. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.