Being an autistic parent is tough. Just like being any kind of parent. But it's also the best thing in the world – as any parent, not just autistic ones, will tell you. Source: Unsplash/吴 迪 @brawny One of the things I find hardest about parenting with autism is the discrepancy in the way that I "play" versus the way my children play. Especially as they get older and their imaginations get wilder, I am constantly finding myself lost and tired and overwhelmed after only 5 or 10 minutes of dedicated play time. Throw in the fact that the kids are with us nearly 24/7 now due to the ongoing pandemic, and you have a recipe for epic burnout ! I have often thought to myself, what's wrong with me? Play time is supposed to be fun, right? Why do I find it so draining? Well there's nothing wrong with me. I am autistic, so I "play" differently, and that's okay. Now, my son is also autistic, but as any autie will tell you, "if you have met one autistic person, you have met one autistic person." Yes, he likes to line his cars up by color or make "traffic… Read full this story
- It’s Okay If Your Kids Are Getting More Screen Time. Really.
- The boomerang kids who are RUINING their parents' lives: Generation of millennials who leave home before moving back in are causing havoc for their families
- UK's 'toughest head' says locked-down pupils should wear uniforms at HOME to 'mentally prepare' for schoolwork - and parents could even write up a contract outlining what's required
- Homeschooling mum ‘nearly cried’ when kids scribbled over her sofa – but gets it looking new with £2.99 cleaning spay
- Mom of Two Mila Kunis Is 'Ragged Tired' But Says It's Worth It: 'Who Cares? My Kids Are Healthy, I'm Happy'
- Michelle Money Has 'Regret' About Not Being a 'Parent First' Before Daughter Brielle's Accident
- Paddy and Christine McGuinness are transformed into cartoon characters to teach kids about autism in a special episode of children's TV show
- Not just peers, even siblings bully autistic kids
- Parents finding it tough to teach kids at home during coronavirus pandemic
- 5 important cleanliness lessons every parent should teach their kids early on
Autistic Parents: Is Playtime with the Kids Wearing You Out? have 377 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at February 28, 2021. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.