Senators say the chances of a group of centrist Republicans and Democrats coming together on a compromise coronavirus relief package is slim to none because of pressure from the leadership of their respective parties.Centrist senators who would ordinarily be expected to be having sideline negotiations say there’s been little activity despite the apparent collapse of talks between the White House and Democratic leaders. They say that’s because leadership on both sides of the aisle have frozen the possibility of rump-group talks less than two months before elections in which future control of the Senate will be decided. ADVERTISEMENTRepublican senators say that Senate Minority Leader Charles SchumerChuck SchumerOcasio-Cortez, Schumer announce federal COVID-19 fund to help families pay for funerals Over 60 progressive groups urge Schumer to nix filibuster Booker reintroduces bill to give all newborns ,000 savings accounts MORE (D-N.Y.) has told his Democratic colleagues not to undercut their leadership by working on side deals with the GOP. “The bigger problem here is Sen. Schumer has decided there shouldn’t be negotiations. Right now, we’re not even in the position of even talking to rank-and-file Democrats because they’ve been told not to negotiate,” said Sen. Marco RubioMarco Antonio RubioThe GOP’s impeachment ‘prisoner’s… Read full this story
- Mark Stone trade grades: Golden Knights nab deadline's biggest prize; Senators complete teardown
- PHT Power Rankings: 10 players helping themselves in contract year
- PHT Power Rankings: Don’t sleep on the Blue Jackets
- Trump not 'thrilled' with border deal but leaning toward it
- PHT Power Rankings: No one is close to Lightning right now
- Should Senators try a trade in wake of Matt Duchene's injury?
- PHT Power Rankings: Reality strikes the Anaheim Ducks
- PHT Power Rankings: Reality strikes Ducks
- NBA Power Rankings: It’s Golden State’s world and we just live in it.
- Rudolfs Balcers recalled by Ottawa Senators
Senate leaders quash talk of rank-and-file COVID-19 deal have 303 words, post on thehill.com at September 16, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.