The avowed Antifa supporter who was a suspect in the killing of a Patriot Prayer member during a clash of opposing groups in Portland, Ore., last Saturday appeared to be targeting the victim prior to the shooting, according to court documents unsealed Friday.
Michael Forest Reinoehl, 48, allegedly hid in a parking garage, waiting for Aaron “Jay” Danielson, 39, and another Patriot Prayer member, the documents say, according to OregonLive.com.
Reinoehl, who claimed online to be a “100% ANTIFA” anti-fascist and said he worked security for Black Lives Matter protests, then allegedly shot at Danielson twice, hitting him once in the chest and killing him.
Reinoehl later told Vice in an interview he was not a member of Antifa but supported its efforts.
Then on Thursday, Reinoehl himself was fatally shot by a federal fugitive task force who tracked the suspect to Lacey, Wash., about 120 miles north of Portland, when he tried to elude arrest on second-degree murder charges, authorities have said. Reinoehl “produced a handgun” during the arrest but it was unclear if he fired at officers, police said.
District Attorney Mike Schmidt in Multnomah County, Ore., which includes Portland, said Friday that authorities “still do not have a full understanding” of the circumstances of Reinoehl’s death, according to the Seattle Times.
“The apprehension of a fugitive, in particular one under investigation for murder, is especially dangerous for law enforcement,” he said, adding he was, “thankful that no one else was injured or killed.”
The affidavit also said Reinoehl texted his son on Aug. 7.
“Sell me the gun for a quarter pound of weed and $100 I’m getting tired of this s— I need a piece now,” the message said, according to OregonLive.com.
The court documents are backed up by a sworn officer statement that says security footage from the parking garage shows Reinohel targeting Danielson.
The security footage allegedly shows Reinoehl go into the garage after spotting Danielson and the other man. After Danielson passes by, Reinoehl comes out and follows the pair.
Reinoehl “conceals himself, waits and watches” Detective Rico Beniga writes in the probable cause affidavit.
“The shooting occurs shortly thereafter and is not captured on the surveillance video,” Beniga writes, according to the Times. Danielson was pronounced dead at the scene.
After reviewing footage shot by a live streamer, Beniga said it appears Reinoehl shot a can of bear spray that Danielson was carrying, sending the substance spraying. The second shot killed him.
While searching Reinoehl’s home, investigators found ammunition that matched the caliber of the bullet that killed Danielson and the clothes he wore that night but no gun, according to OregonLive.com.
In a Thursday interview posted on the Vice website, Reinoehl had claimed he killed Danielson in self-defense.
“I had no choice,” he said, adding he and a friend were about to be stabbed by Danielson and the other Patriot Prayer member. “I mean, I, I had a choice. I could have sat there and watched them kill a friend of mine of color. But I wasn’t going to do that.”
The footage allegedly shows Reinoehl raise his right arm toward Danielson, then he’s seen running away.
- Portland man charged with murder waives jury trial
- 'I'm a prophet, not a serial killer': Triple murder suspect says he stabbed people to death because God 'needs them for the war' - as his three victims are identified
- India rape victims demand dignity at first public rally
- Tarzan actor Ron Ely's wife was stabbed to death by their SON in their Santa Barbara home before he was shot dead by police responding to a 911 call where he tried to blame his disabled dad for the attack
- The Latest: Many Democrats support taking on drug companies
- The Latest: Snubbing Biden, Warren thanks Obama for support
- Cuba Gooding Jr was reported to police for grabbing woman's butt at an LA Party but case was dropped due to lack of evidence
- 'I think I was excusing myself from the room,' Nancy Pelosi says of THAT photo Donald Trump tweeted from their fiery White House meeting - and hints she wants the audio leaked next
- 'Real Life Bruce Wayne' Disarms Gunman | PatchPM
- Cause for hope and caution following police shooting in home
- Instagram famous ‘Mercedes Mum’ to swap her $15,000 court outfit for prison greens as she is jailed for racing away from police at 230km/h with her unrestrained child in the car
- Hong Kong protests: tech war opens up with doxxing of protesters and police
- Report: Baylor Regents Say Art Briles Failed To Report An Alleged Gang Rape
- How Will the Economic Downturn Lead to the Police Dealing With a Summer of Discontent?
- Spain protests: Angry mobs attack police helicopter and throw acid at Barcelona officers
- Rep. Elijah Cummings, Democratic leader and regular Trump target, dies at 68
- I would quit if I had a choice, says Hong Kong leader in leaked audio
- California girl, 10, commits suicide; police investigating whether bullying to blame
- Denver Considers Removing Cops From Mental Health-Related 911 Rescues
- Karma Is! [Part 2]
Portland's Antifa-supporting gunman appeared to target victim, police say have 929 words, post on www.foxnews.com at September 5, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.