Congressional Democrats have subjected the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) to criticism over the latter’s decision to suspend its in-person election security briefings for US lawmakers over leaks from Congress. “This is a shocking abdication of its lawful responsibility to keep the Congress currently informed, and a betrayal of the public’s right to know how foreign powers are trying to subvert our democracy”, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff said in a joint statement. For his part, Marco Rubio, a Republican senator and acting chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, argued that “intelligence agencies have a legal obligation to keep Congress informed of their activities”, bemoaning the fact that congressional oversight is facing a “historic crisis”. Still, the suspension of in-person briefings does not mean that the ODNI will keep US lawmakers in the dark as the intelligence will switch over to written reports to ensure that sensitive information is not “politicised”, as Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe explained in his letter to American congressmen. Dems Still Stick to Debunked Trump-Russia Collusion Story Ratcliffe’s move apparently came in response to a leak from a July all-House classified briefing led by William Evanina, the… Read full this story
- Government minister for Scotland RESIGNS over Dominic Cummings row: Tory whip Douglas Ross says he 'can't tell constituents who have lost loved ones they were wrong to follow lockdown and one adviser was right'
- Election security 2020: How prepared is the U.S. to confront foreign threats?
- Twitter adds ANOTHER warning to a Trump tweet as it says his comment about intervening in Minneapolis ‘glorifies violence’ after the president attacked the site but praised Facebook
- The Latest: President Putin says virus stabilized in Russia
- Winners and Losers on Night 2 of the Second Democratic Debates
- Coronavirus latest: China tells US to stop blame game
- Boris Johnson faces his biggest rebellion yet as MPs from all wings of the party line up to tell him Dominic Cummings MUST go – just hours after PM backed his Svengali over lockdown breach row
- BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump says he would 'SHUT DOWN' Twitter if he could as he signs executive order against 'anti-conservative bias' on social media and claims it is 'a threat to freedom itself' – but won't delete his account
- White House says President Trump will sign executive order on social media
- Senate Dems raise alarm on 'captured' federal courts as Trump, Republicans keep judicial confirmations coming
Dems Did Everything to Blow Second Election in a Row, But They'll Blame "The Russians", Journo Says have 402 words, post on sputniknews.com at September 2, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.