Indian cricketers including ODI captain Mithali Raj on Sunday welcomed BCCI President Sourav Ganguly’s announcement that the Women’s IPL will take place during the men’s league in the UAE. The India women’s cricket team has not participated in any form of competitive cricket since the T20 World Cup final against Australia since March. Mithali, who only plays ODIs, last represented the women in blue in November.
With the tour of England in cancelled, it seemed the women won’t get much game time before the ODI World Cup in February-March. However, BCCI boss Ganguly’s announcement has eased some concerns.
“This is excellent news. Our ODI World Cup campaign to finally kick start. A big thank you to @SGanguly99 @BCCI @JayShah and thank you @BoriaMajumdar for your support to women’s cricket,” Mithali tweeted.
India senior spinner Poonam Yadav wrote: “Good news! Thank you @SGanguly99 and the BCCI.”
This is excellent news . Our ODI World Cup campaign to finally kick start . A big thank you to @SGanguly99 @BCCI @JayShah and thank you @BoriaMajumdar for your support to women’s cricket . https://t.co/JpJSMGapzV
Mithali Raj (@M_Raj03) August 2, 2020
Poonam Yadav (@poonam_yadav24) August 2, 2020
The BCCI had received some criticism for cancelling the women team’s tour of England at a time when the IPL preparations are on full swing.
The men’s IPL will be held between September 19 and November 8 or 10 (final date yet to be locked in) in the UAE due to the surge in COVID-19 cases in India. The four-team women’s event will also be fit in to the schedule, according to the BCCI chief.
“I can confirm to you that the women’s IPL is very much on and we do have a plan in place for the national team also,” Ganguly told PTI ahead of the IPL Governing Council meeting on Sunday.
- Nepal's parliament elects first female president
- NA Chairwoman to visit India, meet parliaments’ women speakers
- President welcomes Piaggio chairman
- Saudi women athletes to compete in London
- US military to lift ban on women in combat
- ASEAN, US look to lift ties to new height, leaders announce at summit
- Women's activist Banda becomes Malawi's president
- Sep 28-Oct 4: President visits Cuba
- President applauds new lawyers' association head
- Vietnam's top nine fine arts and photography events in 2015 announced
- France's Sarkozy to be sworn in as president
- Text of President Obama's statement to U.S. people
- BUSINESS IN BRIEF 5/12
- SOCIETY IN BRIEF 30/4
- BUSINESS IN BRIEF 2/10
- Trump endorses accused child molester Moore for Senate
- BUSINESS IN BRIEF 13/12
- Social News 17/1
- ART & ENTERTAINMENT IN BRIEF 19/2
- Social News 16/1
Mithali Raj And Co. Welcome BCCI President Sourav Ganguly's Announcement on Women's IPL in UAE have 432 words, post on www.cricketcountry.com at August 2, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.