Senior military commanders of India and China will hold a meeting in eastern Ladakh on Sunday in their fifth attempt to implement a disengagement plan and reducing tensions aggravated by a significant military build-up on both sides of the contested Line of Actual Control (LAC), people familiar with the developments said.
The meeting between corps commander-ranked officers will take place held at Moldo on the Chinese side of the LAC. It is expected to begin around 11 am.
The talks are expected to focus on the critical Finger Area and the strategic Depsang plains, they said. The Indian side is working on restore status quo ante (the situation as it existed in early April) along the LAC.
Northern Army commander Lieutenant General YK Joshi recently said that disengagement between forward deployed Indian and Chinese soldiers from friction areas along the LAC was a complex and intricate process that required diligent execution.
India and China lately failed to make a breakthrough in reducing border tensions despite intense negotiations at the military and diplomatic levels, and the disengagement process at some friction points virtually stopped.
Joshi said disengagement was initiated after four rounds of talks between senior Indian and Chinese military commanders, and it was being verified on the ground to “ensure its veracity and correctness.”
De-escalation of the border conflict will begin after complete disengagement.
The ground situation remains unchanged in the Ladakh sector where both armies have amassed almost 100,000 soldiers in their forward and depth areas.
During a visit to Ladakh on July 17, defence minister Rajnath Singh indicated that the negotiations to resolve military tensions along the LAC were complex. He said progress in negotiations should help resolve the border dispute but added that he “couldn’t guarantee to what extent the situation will be resolved.”
- Trump to Reunite with 'Friend' Modi Today, Will Hold Extensive Talks on Indo-US Global Partnership
- With coronavirus fight, can India set an example?
- Viewpoints: Has Delhi rape case changed India?
- West Bengal invokes Epidemic Disease Act, sets up Rs 200-cr fund to fight Covid-19
- This is just the beginning! Britain's streets, trains, pubs, theatres and clubs are set to stay deserted for weeks as Boris Johnson announces Britain is shutting down and all non-essential social contact is banned for three months
- Transcript: Philip Breedlove, former NATO supreme allied commander, on "Intelligence Matters"
- China’s funeral revolutionaries
- OYO China fires 25 employees for unethical practices and misconduct; Issues warning to 110 more
- Oil prices can go as low as $20 per barrel, level not sustainable for any country or company: K Ravichandran, ICRA
- Coronavirus latest: Spain overtakes China in total death toll
- India not immune to covid-19 pandemic, growth momentum to be impacted: RBI Governor
- Is China’s gaokao the world’s toughest school exam?
- Nigel Farage: The Virus is Yet Another Reason to Rethink the West's Relationship With China | Opinion
- India coronavirus count on Monday: Well over 450 infected, 548 districts under complete lockdown
- Coronavirus latest: India's Modi urges entire country to self-impose curfew
- Coronavirus latest: Italy deaths surge past China
- Coronavirus latest: India announces complete lockdown
- 9 Highly-Awaited Car Launches In India Postponed Because Of Coronavirus Pandemic
- NSA files – Merkel and Hollande call for talks with US by end of year – live
- Britain's coronavirus infections soar 676 in a DAY: Another U-turn from Boris as he announces government in talks to buy four-hour testing kit as he finally admits screening needs to increase from 5,000 to 25,000 a day
India, China set to hold fifth round of commander-level talks today on LAC disengagement have 580 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at August 2, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.