Bond aficionados will know that early in each story comes an inaugural meeting between hero and foe. A chance encounter over highballs, perhaps, or a high-stakes hand of chemin de fer. The tone is formal yet courteous. Compliments might even be exchanged. Yet beneath this faux chumminess lingers a whiff of menace. There was a slight flavour of this to Boris Johnson’s first encounter with Sir Keir Starmer at PMQs yesterday. Boris Johnson faced off against Sir Keir Starmer during Prime Minister’s Questions for the first time on Wednesday, with the Commons still mostly empty as MPs work from home It was less a head-to-head confrontation than a peek into the milky whites of each other’s eyes. Boris was cautious and respectful. Sir Keir? Lawyerly, yes, but also polite. Self-assured, as you would expect from all those years in a courtroom, but really nothing spectacular. There were no shouts, no zingers, no yah-boos across the despatch box. The atmosphere was so quiet you could have heard a snail cough. My card says Starmer just about shaded it (if it’s appropriate to score these bouts at the moment). Before the off, the Labour leader sat alone, displaying rather less zen-like calm than he… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson's 'new dawn' Brexit Bill returns to Commons today after PM vowed to 'get the vote wrapped up for Christmas'
- That mass of blond hair was out of the door quicker than a motorised hare at a greyhound track: HENRY DEEDES on how Boris Johnson pegged it from the Commons chamber after his Brexit deal was passed
- Who doesn't want to be a millionaire? Labour leadership contender Keir Starmer in Wikipedia WAR over how rich he is: Claim is added then removed three times in two days
- Keir Starmer throws his hat into the leadership ring and calls for Labour to return to a 'broad church' - as centrists and Corbynites fight over soul of party in wake of car crash election
- Jezza's hooded peepers were as fierce as a murderous, sour cyborg: HENRY DEEDES watches Boris Johnson's Queen's Speech
- Boris Johnson 'chuckles' at Trump tweets branding May's premiership 'a disaster' before saying: 'I find it hard to disagree'
- Jennifer Arcuri claims Boris Johnson told her he had five children, admits she had a 'special relationship' with the PM - but says when she tried to call him recently a man 'pretending to be Chinese' took the phone
- Wednesday briefing: Keir Starmer sets out leadership pitch
- 'Gove is nuts, Boris is after my job': David Cameron's simmering tensions with EU rebels laid bare in minister's explosive memoirs
- Election loss finally gets to Jeremy Corbyn as he slams car door, ignores Boris and scowls in Commons
HENRY DEEDES: Like 007 facing his foe, Boris Johnson served charm with menace in his first encounter with Keir Starmer in the House of Commons have 447 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 6, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.