Samantha K. Smith is a writer living in New York. Her published work can be found in The New York Times, Granta Magazine, Slate, The Washington Post, and elsewhere. Follow her on Twitter: @samanthakristia.more opinion articles on CNN.
(CNN)As the daily death toll decreased for the first time in New York on April 5, many of us are bracing for the storm to end and hopeful for our lives to resume outside of our homes. The relief is not only that the threat may be peaking, or that we can stop disinfecting our groceries, but that our loved ones working on the front lines of this disaster will be out of harm’s way. I’m the daughter of a 9/11 first responder; I know as fear winds down, another battle is just beginning.
- Coronavirus update: Spain and Italy record lower daily deaths as hopes rise for COVID-19 containment
- Coronavirus live updates: Pink tests positive for COVID-19
- Coronavirus live updates: Pink tests positive, then negative for COVID-19
- Second Riverside County sheriff’s deputy dies from COVID-19 complications
- Coronavirus live updates: Italy reports first decrease in ICU patients with COVID-19
- Two arrested for coughing, spitting in public as Barr tells Canberrans to stay home to prevent coronavirus spread
- Blamed for spreading COVID-19, Markaz says didn't violate any law
- American business chamber calls for second round of measures from govt.
- 'Choppy waters' await Navy as virus strikes aircraft carrier
- US Senator Rand Paul tests positive for coronavirus, forcing quarantines
- Abrupt end of season also emotional for UL softball parents, who now await uncertain futures
- Coronavirus latest: Spain coronavirus infections top 100,000
- Coronavirus latest: Germany to extend social distancing rules
- Coronavirus latest: Germany extends social distancing rules
- Coronavirus demands quick action, but the ACT Government will be dealing with the fallout for years
- Coronavirus in the Bay Area: The key events unfolding on March 24
- 'We're in disaster mode': Courage inside a Brooklyn hospital confronting coronavirus
- Rikers Island Detainees Say They Fear Dying From Coronavirus
- Rikers Island Detainees Say They Fear Dying From The Coronavirus
- Coronavirus in the Bay Area: The key events unfolding from March 21 to 22
The second pandemic that awaits Covid-19 first responders have 1427 words, post on edition.cnn.com at April 15, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.