WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump announced new federal guidelines Friday recommending that Americans wear face coverings when in public to help fight the spread of the new coronavirus. The president immediately said he had no intention of following that advice himself, saying, “I’m choosing not to do it.” The new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention encourages people, especially in areas hit hard by the spread of the coronavirus, to use rudimentary coverings like T-shirts, bandannas and non-medical masks to cover their faces while outdoors. The president exempted himself from his administration’s own guidelines, saying he could not envision himself covering his face while sitting in the Oval Office greeting world leaders. “It’s a recommendation, they recommend it,” Trump said. “I just don’t want to wear one myself.” The new guidance, announced as states are bracing for critical shortfalls like those that other parts of the world have experienced, raises concern that it could cause a sudden run on masks. Trump and other administration officials sought to minimize any burden by stressing the recommendations did not amount to requirements and that a variety of homemade coverings were acceptable. Federal officials said that surgical masks and N95… Read full this story
- Donald Trump says he could intervene in Huawei case
- Ex-lawyer jailed for three years for 'covering up Trump's dirty deeds'
- Trump says he would intervene in case of Huawei executive to secure a trade deal with China
- Trump says not 'happy' with border deal but shutdown unlikely
- Trump says new summit with Xi is vital to securing China trade deal
- Trump says 'never directed' his lawyer Cohen to break law
- Trump says sending military to Venezuela 'an option' – media
- Governor: Trump says feds will pay Guam's EITC
- Melania Trump not a ‘reluctant’ first lady, spokeswoman insists
- A look back at Donald Trump’s tumultuous second year in office
Face coverings recommended, but Trump says he won’t wear one have 306 words, post on apnews.com at April 4, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.