TAIPEI (Reuters) – Taiwan reported 18 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, all imported from people coming from countries including the United States, Britain, South Africa and Indonesia or those having contact with them, bring the total number of infected to 153.
While Taiwan’s initial efforts to control the spread of the virus have won praise at home and abroad, it is now facing an upsurge in cases from people bringing the virus with them to the island, as are some other countries in Asia.
Taiwan has reported two deaths, while 28 have been released from hospital. The rest are in stable condition, the government said in a statement.
Taiwan has tightened entry controls, banning all foreigners apart from those with residence permits from coming in, and mandating 14 days of home quarantine for all people arriving on the island.
Taiwan’s Foreign Ministry said foreigners who entered before March 21 on a visitor visa, a landing visa, or through the visa-waiver scheme and who have not overstayed their original stay period will be given an automatic 30-day extension.
Separately, Taiwan’s two main carriers, China Airlines and Eva Air, said on Saturday they would be checking temperatures of all passengers before boarding, and will not allow travel for those whose temperatures exceed 37.5°C (99.5°F).
China Airlines said that all passengers would have to wear face masks starting from check in, apart from eating and drinking.
Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Gerry Doyle and Raju Gopalakrishnan
- AP: Nursing facilities failed to report thousands of serious cases of potential neglect, abuse of seniors on Medicare
- More West Nile cases reported in New Mexico
- China’s Cutting-Edge PCL191 Multiple Launch Rocket System in Strategic Proximity to Taiwan – Reports
- New Malware Highlights Importance Of Updating & Securing Your WordPress Blog
- White Island volcano: Why New Zealand is importing skin
- Rates of new US diabetes cases fall again as obesity rises: Federal data show a remarkable drop over 10 years - but officials warn there's a catch
- German petition on Taiwan forces government to justify 'one China' policy
- Special Report: Icebound - The climate-change secrets of 19th century ship's logbooks
- Someone knows the truth. I wish they'd end my torture: A new allegation of a secret lover and a theory she was sex trafficked to Amsterdam. As a cold case team re-examines the vanishing of Claudia Lawrence ten years on, her mother pleads for a breakthrough
- Allergy pens are recalled after girl, 18, died 'from allergic reaction to hazelnuts and device failed to save her'
- Trump's case against the FBI is disproved
- Vessel importation: NFIC seeks zero% import duty for fleet development
- Turkish Exporters Confirm Restrictions on Russian Agriculture Products Import
- New Zealand volcano: Tourists missing after deadly eruption
- Geologist says there was 'very little warning' New Zealand's White Island was about to erupt, despite elevated alert level
- Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo epidemic may be 33% HIGHER than official figures because people avoid treatment centres, expert claims
- Ericsson will pay over $1 billion to resolve fraud case
- Report: Inconsistent efforts to help drug-exposed babies
- FACTBOX-Exxon wins climate change lawsuit, as cases over global warming proliferate
- Report: Knicks Fire Head Coach David Fizdale After Less Than 2 Seasons With Team
Taiwan reports 18 new coronavirus cases, all imported have 550 words, post on www.reuters.com at March 21, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.