SEOUL (Reuters) – South Korea on Monday reported its lowest number of new coronavirus cases since the peak so far on Feb. 29 and the extended downward trend in daily infections has boosted hopes that Asia’s largest outbreak outside China may be abating.
The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said there were 64 new cases on Monday, taking the national tally to 8,961. The death toll rose by one to 110.
The new numbers marked the 12th day in a row the country has posted new infections of around 100 or less, compared with the peak of 909 cases recorded on Feb. 29.
In contrast, 257 patients were released from hospitals where they had been isolated for treatment, the KCDC said. South Korea posted more recoveries than new infections on March 13 for the first time since its first case was confirmed on Jan. 20.
Reporting by Hyonhee Shin; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman and Christian Schmollinger
- 370,000 people in South Korea are suing Apple
- AMOLED display manufacturing dropping in South Korea, rising in China
- The quest to overturn South Korea's confusing age gap
- South Korea to legalize abortion after 66-year ban
- Galaxy S9 pre-orders open March 2 in South Korea, priced higher than Galaxy S8
- South Korea--the broadband leader
- 110,000 condoms for Winter Olympics pushes topic of sex in South Korea
- Samsung will open pre-orders for the Galaxy S9 on March 2nd in South Korea
- South Korea prosecutors are investigating Apple’s iPhone battery controversy
- Apple's South Korean retail store puts it on Samsung's doorstep
- Kim Jong Un went off script during his meeting with the South Korean president — and that could have big implications for Trump
- First US case of rat-sourced virus from the Andes reported
- Samsung OLED TV reports rubbished by company’s TV boss
- South Koreans face digital divide
- Does the U.S. need a new broadband policy?
- Korea to build open source national map system
- Koogle to let new chief overhaul Yahoo's engine
- Report: Global LTE speeds still stationary, but coverage improves
- Hello, 2019: Revelry, Reflection as World Greets New Year
- Esports is driving the South Korean PC gaming market to new heights
South Korea reports fewest new coronavirus cases since February 29 peak have 337 words, post on www.reuters.com at March 23, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.