SEOUL (Reuters) – South Korea reported 147 new coronavirus infections on Saturday, holding to its downward trend in daily infections from a peak in February, but concerns about new outbreaks around small clusters and people coming from abroad persisted.
The daily tally marked the 10th day in a row that the country has posted new infections in the mid-100s or below, although up from 87 recorded the day before, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).
The new cases bring the country’s total to 8,799. The cumulative number of deaths from the virus also rose to 102. South Korea has seen a downward trend in new cases from the peak of 909 cases reported on Feb. 29.
Out of the 147 new cases, 109 were from South Korea’s fourth-largest city, Daegu, and the adjoining North Gyeongsang Province, where 86% of all South Korean cases have been so far.
But others saw increases as well, including 15 new cases in Seoul and six detected while returning from abroad.
“You may feel that the current situation has improved a lot compared to the past, but… we continue to see group infection, inflows from foreign countries, mass outbreaks at various workplaces,” Yoon Tae-ho, director general for public health policy, said at a briefing.
Yoon said South Korea has not considered extreme forms of travel restrictions that other countries have taken, and asked the public for continued voluntary efforts at social distancing.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said on Saturday up to 3.8 trillion won ($3.03 billion) in disaster management funds may be used for small businesses and disadvantaged people specifically for coronavirus-related difficulties.
Reporting by Joyce Lee; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Gerry Doyle
- Vietnam central to South Korea’s ASEAN-focused ‘New Southern Policy’: ambassador
- Japan resumes exports of chemicals South Korea's chipmakers need. But tensions remain
- South Korea deploys snipers and thermal vision drones to kill infected pigs coming from North
- Is Trump Getting Ready to Sell Out South Korea and Japan?
- South Korean war on ‘fake news’ raises concern of censorship
- K-Pop stars named in growing South Korea sex scandal
- Japan, South Korea agree on need for dialogue to resolve feud on wartime labor
- South Korea 'to extend' military pact with Japan: Media
- South Korea bans recalled BMWs over fire fears
- Exclusive: South Korea set to regain control of airway from Japan through U.N. deal - sources
- WHO Reports 440,000 New Measles Cases Globally in 2019
- Hyundai gets nod to build South Korea's tallest skyscraper for Gangnam HQ
- Exclusive: South Korea, Japan set to back air traffic deal after near misses - sources
- Exclusive: South Korea, Japan set to back air traffic deal after near misses
- North Korea fires missiles, derides South Korea's Moon as 'impudent'
- South Korea closes biggest dog meat market in run-up to Olympics
- Goo Hara and the trauma of South Korea's spy cam victims
- South Korea's spy cam porn epidemic
- #MeToo movement takes hold in South Korea
- AlphaGo's Domination Has South Korea Freaking Out About Artificial Intelligence
South Korea reports 147 new coronavirus cases, concerns of cluster outbreaks continue have 516 words, post on www.reuters.com at March 21, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.