Resilience has become a popular catch phrase. I previously wrote about resilience with some suggestions on how to foster it. Let’s take a step back and define what it means to be resilient. Source: Shutterstock – used with permission Adversity is a fact of life. Resilience is that ineffable quality that allows some people to bounce back after being knocked down by life. It allows positive behavioral adaptations in the face of stress, threats and adversity. Resilience: Why Things Bounce Back (Zolli and Healy) defines resilience as “the capacity of a system, enterprise, or a person to maintain its core purpose and integrity in the face of dramatically changed circumstances.” The American Psychological Association has suggested “10 Ways to Build Resilience” including develop self-confidence, take decisive action and maintain hope. Resilience skills necessary to bounce back psychologically after an illness are different than those required after a terrorist attack or the death of a loved one. However, there are some commonalities in terms of resilience which are useful across stressors. Rather than letting difficulties or failure overcome or define them and drain their resolve, resilient people find ways to rise from the ashes. Psychologists have identified some of the factors that make a person… Read full this story
- Vietnam wants to sustain ASEAN resilience to global challenges: Deputy FM
- Norway Against 'Israeli Way': Open Society More Important Than Combating Terror
- Relive Harry Styles' Star-Studded Dating History, From Taylor Swift to Kendall Jenner
- Resilience seen in Nov growth data
- Việt Nam wants to sustain ASEAN resilience to global challenges: Deputy FM
- Secure, Anxious, and Avoidant Attachment Styles at Work
- David Foster Wallace on the Brink of 'Infinite Jest'
- David Foster Wallace: An Appreciation by David Gates
- Positive Emotional Contagion Fosters Friendliness in Monkeys
- Restaurant review: Tuddenham Mill, Tuddenham, Suffolk
Fostering Resilience: Israeli Style have 301 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at January 13, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.