A record Black Friday boosted sales at Asos over the festive period, propelling the fast-fashion retailer forward after a string of profits warnings last year.
Retail sales hit £1bn in the for the four months to Dec 31, up a fifth on the same period a year earlier and ahead of analysts’ expectations.
Chief executive Nick Beighton said the firm has moved on from the damage caused by botched warehouse overhauls in the UK and US, but added that more work must still be done.
Asos was boosted by an advertising campaign with Love Island star Ovie Soko, and competitive discounts during Black Friday also boosted its coffers.
Shares rose 12pc to £33.8 in early trading, before stabilising up around 4pc on the day.
The firm shocked the City in December 2018 when it said a poor Black Friday had triggered slower growth and a halving of profit margins.
The company issued a further warning last July, triggered by delivery turmoil after problems with a warehouse revamp.
- REI's CEO says that the company's decision to close on Black Friday helped the retailer survive the retail apocalypse
- Black Friday transactions up, sales down, early data shows
- 11 insider facts most Black Friday workers know — and you probably don't
- What’ll be open or closed among area retailers on Thanksgiving and Black Friday
- What is China's Singles Day and how does it compare to Black Friday?
- Black Friday down, Cyber Monday up. But the shopping never ends.
- Amazon Prime Day, a made-up holiday that's become bigger than Black Friday, is here. This is why it's such a big deal. (AMZN)
- Best Black Friday Fitbit Deals, 2018
- With Black Friday coming, retailers expanding toy offerings, training all those new hires
- 5 Black Friday Shopping Tips
- Black Friday shoppers remember more exciting times as they hunt for deals
- Black Friday prep means toys and training
- The $50 safety razor I swear by to get a close, smooth shave is 15% off as a Black Friday deal
- How to Shop Black Friday Deals Online
- Bonmarché banks on Black Friday and Christmas to boost profits
- Casper's Black Friday sale is live now — here's how to save 10% on mattresses, sheets, and more
- Black Friday sales provide timely boost for Northern Ireland high street
- Black Friday: If No Price Match, Go for Cash Back
- Why small retailers should avoid Black Friday
- 7 Ways To Protect Yourself From Identity Theft This Black Friday
Asos ‘back on track’ as Black Friday helps to grow sales by a fifth have 383 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at January 23, 2020. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.