A teacher who was fired for not addressing a transgender student with masculine pronouns is suing his former employers for allegedly violating his right to speak freely and exercise his religion, among other claims. The teacher, Peter Vlaming, said in a lawsuit he had promised to use the student’s name and avoid pronouns, citing his religious beliefs, but administrators at the West Point High School in West Point, Virginia, gave him an ultimatum to either use pronouns such as his, him, or he, or face disciplinary action, reports The Washington Post. On Oct. 31, 2018, however, when his French students were walking around the classroom wearing virtual-reality goggles, the transgender student was about to crash, and Vlaming shouted out “don’t let her hit the wall.” The student withdrew from his class and school officials suspended and then fired him, saying he had ignored his bosses’ orders. In his lawsuit, he says his conscience and religious practice prevents him from “intentionally lying” and he believes “referring to a female as a male by using an objectively male pronoun is telling a lie.” The school district and its attorneys did not answer a request from The Post for comment. The lawsuit also… Read full this story
- A VA District Was Right to Fire a Teacher Who Refused to Respect a Trans Student
- West Point High Teacher Fired for Refusing to Call Trans Student 'He'
- Teacher Fired for Refusing to Use Transgender Student’s Preferred Pronouns
- How this band is making punk show venues more trans-friendly
- Today Is Trans Day Of Remembrance
- Star Laverne Cox Used to Equate Being Trans with Failing
- Talking to Munroe Bergdorf About Being Fired by L’Oreal and Why She Won’t Stop Fighting White Supremacy
- After Katrina, where did all the New Orleans black teachers go?
- 1,000 pages of damnation: Official report into Grenfell Tower disaster says systemic failures in fire chiefs' 'stay put' advice led to MORE deaths and raises prospect of manslaughter charges for brigade bosses
- Climate Science As A Second Front for Biology Teachers
Teacher Sues After Firing for Not Using Trans Kid's Pronoun have 331 words, post on www.newsmax.com at October 1, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.