SEOUL (Reuters) – Long-time foes North and South Korea played a World Cup qualifier on Tuesday, their first football match in the North in 30 years, but no fans were allowed in the stands and Pyongyang refused to broadcast the game live. There were also no goals. The last time the two sides met in a World Cup qualifier was in Seoul 10 years ago, when the North lost 1-0 before accusing South Korea of poisoning their players’ food ahead of the match. Reclusive North Korea and the rich, democratic South are technically still at war because their 1950-53 civil conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty. National anthems of both sides were played before the match kicked off at the Kim Il Sung Stadium and the flags of the two countries were on display, the South’s Korea Football Association (KFA) said. Two earlier qualifiers that had been scheduled for North Korea had to be switched to Shanghai after Pyongyang refused to raise the South’s flag or play its anthem. North Korea had promised to provide footage of the match on DVD, the South’s unification ministry said. “We would need time for technical checks, but despite some delays,… Read full this story
- Coronavirus in sport: Qatar 2022 World Cup qualifiers of CONMEBOL to start in September
- CONMEBOL confirms World Cup qualifying to begin in September
- Scaled-down World Cup qualifiers could aid Vietnam
- World Cup 2019: South Africa vs West Indies Match Rained Off, Teams Get Point Each
- Scaled-down World Cup qualifiers could aid Việt Nam
- Conmebol confirms World Cup qualifying dates
- CONMEBOL says World Cup qualifiers to start in September
- Swansea's Michu earns first call-up by Spain for World Cup qualifiers
- FIFA set to approve 48-team World Cup
- Has North Korea’s week at the Winter Olympics diminished the nuclear threat?
North Korea World Cup qualifier with South played to empty stands have 305 words, post on feeds.reuters.com at October 15, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.