LONDON will see hundreds of road closures today (Sunday, September 22) for Reimagine event World Car Free Day 2019. Here’s everything you need to know about the road closures. What is the aim of Car Free Day? The aim of World Car Free Day is to encourage Londoners to “reimagine” their city car free, with mayor, Sadiq Khan saying of the event: “Will help encourage the change in behaviour needed to meet the Mayor’s ambitious target of 80 per cent of all journeys to be taken via sustainable modes of transport by 2041, compared to 63 per cent today.” World Car Free Day hopes to draw awareness to the dangers of toxic air and encourage city dwellers to explore the capital without the use of a vehicle. Twenty kilometres of roads – the equivalent of nearly 200 football pitches in length – will be closed in central London around Tower Bridge, London Bridge and the City of London. Cycling and walking will be encouraged, but some areas – including London Bridge up to Bishopsgate will have buses but no other vehicles. Designated areas across the city will act as special play areas, where Londoners can relax and enjoy the car-free… Read full this story
- Coronavirus live updates: U.S. sees biggest jump in confirmed cases, 26,400 in a day
- Coronavirus live updates: ‘Greatest test that we have faced since the formation of the United Nations’
- Coronavirus live updates: ‘You’re scared’ — Nurse with COVID-19 is one of dozens afflicted in state
- Coronavirus live updates: UN report says COVID-19 is ‘attacking societies at their core’
- Coronavirus live updates: Cuomo says New Yorkers ‘still on our way up the mountain’ as cases rise
- Coronavirus live updates: UC system to ease 2020 admissions requirements; no more SAT, letter-grades
World Car Free Day 2019 – Map of London road closures for TODAY have 295 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at September 22, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.