Credit: ThitareeSarmkasat Reviewed by Dr. Richard Foxx, MD MCT oil is a popular fat supplement for those interested in ketogenic diets; brain health; and alternatives to canola oil, butter, and more. But do MCTs really differ from other sources of dietary fat? Medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs, differ from other dietary fats (i.e. long-chain fatty acids) in the way they are metabolized. They are used by the body much like carbohydrates in that they provide instant energy as opposed to being stored for later. This is based on total consumption, of course; if you’re eating too many MCTs, just like excess carbs, you’re going to store them as fat. When you eat more calories than you expend, weight gain is going to happen. The fat in coconut oil is 50% MCTs, and they’re also found in palm kernel oil and dairy products. When carbohydrate intake is low, like on a ketogenic diet, MCTs can quickly convert to ketones to act as your body’s primary energy source. MCT oil is made by extracting and isolating the MCTs from palm and coconut oils. Most oils contain two MCTs in particular, caprylic acid and capric acid, which are thought to be broken down for… Read full this story
- Presenting a versatile portfolio of the very beneficial olive oil from your kitchen...
- Coronavirus: As you stay safe indoors, your skin will also reap the benefits
- Korean palm oil firm accused of illegal forest burning in Indonesia
- Bank cut to oil loans could push producers beyond the brink
- ‘Effective steps have controlled spread of COVID-19 in T.N.’
- View: Welcome to a truly free oil market
- Exclusive: U.S. plans to lease space to energy companies to store oil in emergency reserve
- Chevron leads another wave of massive oil-industry spending cuts
- Russia vs Saudi: How much pain can they take in oil price war?
- Daddy's little monsters: Father uses computer wizardry to produce images of how the animal drawings of his two little boys and their friends would look in real life
MCT Oil: Benefits, Uses, and Side Effects have 347 words, post on www.doctorshealthpress.com at September 11, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.