Since 1981, every year on 21 September, the International Day of Peace is observed around the world. The United Nations General Assembly declared this day as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and people.
The 2021 theme for the International Day of Peace is “Recovering better for an equitable and sustainable world”.
History Of International Peace Day
- In 1981, the UN General Assembly passed a resolution of the International Day of Peace to commemorate and strengthen the ideals of peace.
- On 21 September 1982, the International Day of Peace was first observed. The theme was ‘The Right to Peace of People’.
- In 1983, the UN Secretary General announces a Culture of Peace, an initiative to unite the strengths of organisations, projects and people in order to make peace.
- In the year 2001, Kofi Annan, the secretary-general of the United Nations drafted a message recognising the observance of International Day of Peace on 21 September.
- In 2005, Kofi Annan called for the worldwide observance of a 22-hour cease-fire to mark the day as a day of non-violence.
- In 2006, Kofi Annan rang the peace bell for the last time during his tenure in office.
- In 2007, The UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon rang the peace bell at United Nations Headquarters in New York calling for a 24-hour cessation of hostilities and a minute of silence was observed around the world.
- In 2009, the International Year of Reconciliation was announced to mark the day by distributing a number of white doves.
- In 2010, the theme for International Day of Peace was ‘Youth for Peace and Development’.
- In 2011, the theme for International Day of Peace was ‘Peace and Democracy: Make Your Voice Heard’.
In 2012, the theme was ‘Sustainable Peace for a Sustainable Future’.
- In 2013, the theme was ‘Focus on Peace Education’.
- In 2014, the theme was ‘Right to Peace’.
- In 2015, the theme was ‘Partnerships for Peace – Dignity for All’
- In 2016, the theme was ‘The Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace’.
- In 2017, the theme was ‘Together for Peace: Respect, Safety and Dignity for All’.
- In 2018, the theme was ‘The Right to Peace – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at 70’.
On International Peace Day, here are some great quotes by some famous people.
“Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding” – Albert Einstein
“Peace begins with a smile” – Mother Teresa
“Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures”- John F. Kennedy
“Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will be as one” – John Lennon
“If you want peace, you don’t talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies” – Desmond Tutu
“If the human race wishes to have a prolonged and indefinite period of material prosperity, they have only got to behave in a peaceful and helpful way toward one another” – Winston Churchill
“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without” – Buddha
“It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work at it” – Eleanor Roosevelt
“We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves” – Dalai Lama
“If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other” – Mother Teresa
- 47 Inspiring Entrepreneurial Quotes from Famous Leaders
- 10 Inspirational Quotes for International Women’s Day
- A Quick List Of The Top 10 Notable Quotes Of 2017, Courtesy Of Yale university
- It's Roald Dahl Day tomorrow. Here are 10 marvellous quotes from the author
- Colombia’s peace deal is great news for investors
- 100 Great Quotes That Will Help You Handle Criticism
- How To Get Famous People to Endorse You Online
- 44 famous people you didn't know were Aquarians
- 11 times celebrities were starstruck by other famous people
- 10 Great Tips To Empower Female Entrepreneurs
- The Director's Cut: 10 Great Laughs To See At The Melbourne Comedy Festival
- 10 products under $20 that people with acne-prone skin swear by
- 10 Great Beach Reads That Will Make You Sharper When You Return To The Office
- 10 low-sugar snacks for people with a sweet tooth
- 9 quotes that famous people didn’t actually say
- I had a 'sleep doctor' tell me how to structure my entire day, and I've never felt more energized
- 10 Inspiring Quotes From Howard Schultz on Great Leadership and Business Success
- Walt Disney World Workers Reach Deal for $15 Minimum Wage by 2021
- Did someone say free pie? Fresno and Clovis restaurants celebrate National Pi Day with deals
- The guns of World War I fell silent 100 years ago — these vivid colorized photos bring the Great War to life
International Day Of Peace 2021: 10 Great Quotes About Peace By Famous People have 971 words, post on www.boldsky.com at September 20, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.