TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — Former Foxconn CEO Terry Gou has given up on making an independent bid for Taiwan’s presidency, citing an “abominable election atmosphere” and bullying of his supporters. Gou announced his decision in a statement late Monday, one day before a deadline to register for the race. The move leaves two main candidates in the January election — incumbent President Tsai Ing-wen of the Democratic Progressive Party and Han Kuo-yu, a populist mayor who defeated Gou in the Nationalist Party primary in July. Gou stepped down in June as head of Foxconn, a company he founded and built into a leading contract manufacturer of the iPhone and other consumer electronics. He resigned from the Nationalist Party last week, fueling speculation that he would run as an independent. His possible entry into the race threatened to divide the Nationalists, who wanted party members to unite behind their candidate. Han, the mayor of the port city of Kaohsiung, is trailing Tsai in the polls. In a video message posted on Facebook on Tuesday, Gou blamed personal and factional interests for dividing society. “I am not willing to participate and cannot bear seeing my supporters being bullied,” he said.
- Here are the 16 Democrats who are running for president
- Melania Trump wanted Donald Trump to run for president because she was 'really tired of listening to him talk about it' new book reveals
- Forget Me Not: Hillary Clinton Yet to ‘Make Up Her Mind’ on Whether to Run for President
- Former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg officially running for president
- Party chief lays flowers at President Ho Chi Minh Monument in Cuba
- The Glow Up Goes to NOLA, Day 4: Maybe My Mascara Should Run for President
- Harris posts video asking baby if she'll run for president one day
- House Republicans Want The Senators Running For President To Sit Out The Impeachment Trial
- House Republicans Say The Senators Running For President Shouldn't Be Allowed To Be Jurors In Trump's Impeachment Trial
- Steve Bullock, Montana governor, announces he's running for president
Former Foxconn chief abandons run for Taiwan presidency have 338 words, post on apnews.com at September 17, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.