SHENZHEN, China (AP) â Long before President Donald Trump threatened to cut off Huawei’s access to U.S. technology, the Chinese telecom equipment maker was pouring money into research that reduces its need for American suppliers. Huawei’s founder says instead of crippling the company, the export curbs are making it a tougher competitor by forcing managers to focus resources on their most important products. Little-known to Americans, Huawei Technologies Ltd. is the No. 2 smartphone brand worldwide and the biggest maker of switching gear at the heart of phone networks. Its equipment is used by 45 of the 50 biggest global phone carriers. Huawei is a pioneer in the emerging field of next-generation, or 5G, telecoms. It promises not just faster internet but support for self-driving cars and other futuristic applications. That fuels Western security concerns and makes 5G politically sensitive. The U.S. claims the company might aid Chinese spying, though Huawei denies that and American officials have provided no evidence. Huawei needs some American innovations, especially Google services used on Android phones, but industry experts say the company is increasingly self-sufficient after spending 485 billion yuan ($65 billion) on research and development over the past decade. “They have a strategy… Read full this story
- The risks of banning Huawei
- Infographic: Which Countries Have Banned Or Are Planning To Ban Huawei?
- Don’t ban Huawei. Do this instead
- Jury decides Huawei stole from tech startup
- U.S. ambassador: Dutch should ban Huawei outright on 5G network
- The Orwellian option: India will soon have to make a fateful choice on Huawei and Chinese tech
- TPG axes plans to launch mobile network after government bans Huawei from 5G
- Faced With Bans, Huawei Goes on an Advertising Offensive
- FCC chief: Banning Huawei protects 5G
- Facebook bans Huawei from preinstalling its apps on phones
Facing US ban, Huawei emerging as stronger tech competitor have 301 words, post on www.baynews9.com at September 17, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.