For the study published in the Journal of Personality, the research team picked over 2,700 college students from across the globe and asked them to build themselves an ideal lifelong partner by using a fixed budget to ‘buy’ characteristics.
While traits like physical attractiveness and financial prospects were important, the one that was given the highest priority was kindness, said the researchers.
“Looking at very different culture groups allows us to test the idea that some behaviours are human universals. If men and women act in a similar way across the globe, then this adds weight to the idea that some behaviours develop in spite of culture rather than because of it,” said study principle researcher Andrew G. Thomas from Swansea University in Britain.
Finding Love Online Can Be A Cakewalk, Just Avoid These Seven Mistakes
Get Rid Of These Dating Profile Mistakes
Everything in this world has become digital now. You can even find love by just one swipe of your finger. But some restrictions imposed by photo and character limits leave some of us at a bit of a loose end. According to The Independent, two Reddit users asked men and women to list the red flags they’ve seen on dating profiles. These are the seven mistakes people make while writing about themselves in a dating app bio:
The study compared the dating preferences of students from Eastern countries including Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong, and Western countries such as the UK, Norway and Australia.
Students were given eight attributes they could spend ‘mate dollars’ on physical attractiveness, good financial prospects, kindness, humour, chastity, religiosity, the desire for children and creativity.
People typically spent 22-26 per cent of their total budget on kindness and large parts of their budget on physical attractiveness and good financial prospects, while traits like creativity and chastity received less than 10 per cent.
The results also showed a difference in a partner’s desire for children, which was a priority only for Western women.
- The Secret to Energizing Your Long-Term Relationship
- Your child’s better long-term achievement may kick up from good start in kindergarten
- Here’s how starting kindergarten on right foot may lead to better achievement over long-term
- Our Views: Long-term thinking vital to Hurricane Laura recovery effort
- Select opportunities available at fair valuations for long-term investors: Canara Robeco MF
- Long-term investing: Over 300 BSE stocks would have made you a crorepati in 20 years
- No long-term hit on Vietnam’s stocks
- Dhanteras 2020 | 'Gold can glitter in the long-term; investing in gold bond a good alternative'
- Gwen Stefani's fiancé Blake Shelton looks unrecognisable with long hair
- Stormzy cuts a casual figure in a black hoodie and tracksuit bottoms as he visits an Andy Warhol exhibition with his long-term assistant in London
- 25 Siblings & Me viewers swoon over 'incredibly good looking' family
- Ex-LMP1 driver Beche sees long term future in Super GT
- 101 great deals to look out for on Black Friday
- Apple iPad Pro (2020) long-term review: iCame. iSaw. iConquered
- This is how you save your relationship from social media
- Teenagers with positive student-teacher relationships may enjoy better health in adulthood
- Helena Bonham Carter looks quirky in a mismatching skirt with clashing patterns as she takes her mint green Fiat 500 convertible for a spin
- 10 things women SEE in your dating profile
- Independence Day advice: Focus on businesses least hit by COVID, these 5 sectors are a good investment
- Gardening 101: Plant A Tree In Honor Of ‘Texas Arbor Day’
Dating 101: Kindness more important than good looks or humour for a healthy, long-term relationship have 773 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at September 21, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.