Saturday, 3:30 p.m.; TV: BTN; Radio: WEEU 830-AM; The line: Nittany Lions by 36.5
Penn State 42, Idaho 3
The Nittany Lions start the season with a dominant performance against their first Football Championship Subdivision opponent since 2011. All eyes at Beaver Stadium will be on quarterback Sean Clifford, who’s making his first start for Penn State.
|Today||at Penn State||Today||Idaho|
|Sept. 7||Central Washington||Sept. 7||Buffalo|
|Sept. 14||at Wyoming||Sept. 14||Pittsburgh|
|Sept. 21||Eastern Michigan||Sept. 27||at Maryland|
|Sept. 28||at Northern Colorado||Oct. 5||Purdue|
|Oct. 5||Weber State||Oct. 12||at Iowa|
|Oct. 12||at Portland State||Oct. 19||Michigan|
|Oct. 19||Idaho State||Oct. 26||at Michigan State|
|Nov. 2||Cal Poly||Nov. 9||at Minnesota|
|Nov. 9||at Montana State||Nov. 16||Indiana|
|Nov. 16||Sacramento State||Nov. 23||at Ohio State|
|Nov. 23||at Northern Arizona||Nov. 30||Rutgers|
|Idaho offense||Penn State offense|
|Wide receiver||88||Jeff Cotton||Wide receiver||6||
|Tight end||12||Connor Whitney||Tight end||87||Pat Freiermuth|
|Left tackle||50||Noah Gunn||Left tackle||53||Rasheed Walker|
|Left guard||75||Matt Faupusa||Left guard||74||Steven Gonzalez|
|Center||66||Connor Vrba||Center||62||Michal Menet|
|Right guard||74||Noah Johnson||Right guard||69||C.J. Thorpe|
|Right tackle||54||Logan Floyd||Right tackle||71||Will Fries|
|Wide receiver||13||Jante Boston||Wide receiver||1||KJ Hamler|
|Wide receiver||7||Cutrell Haywood||Wide receiver||5||Jahan Dotson|
|Quarterback||8||Mason Petrino||Quarterback||14||Sean Clifford|
|Running back||5||Nick Romano||Running back||3||Ricky Slade|
|Idaho defense||Penn State defense|
|End||7||Charles Akanno||End||18||Shaka Toney|
|Tackle||99||Noah Elliss||Tackle||54||Robert Windsor|
|Tackle||55||Rahsaan Crawford||Tackle||55||Antonio Shelton|
|End||45||Kayode Rufai||End||99||Yetur Gross-Matos|
|Outside linebacker||4||Robert Hall||Outside linebacker||40||Jesse Luketa|
|Middle linebacker||8||Tre Walker||Middle linebacker||36||Jan Johnson|
|Outside linebacker||11||Jalan Jenkins||Outside linebacker||11||Micah Parsons|
|Cornerback||21||Christian Nash||Cornerback||5||Tariq Castro-Fields|
|Strong safety||28||Satchel Escalante||Safety||17||Garrett Taylor|
|Free safety||2||Davontae Ginwright||Safety||38||Lamont Wade|
|Cornerback||5||Lloyd Hightower||Cornerback||29||John Reid|
Idaho statistics (2018)
Penn State statistics (2018)
- When Penn State has the ball: Sean Clifford will have a deep pool of backs and receivers at his disposal in his first start at QB for the Lions. The Vandals return five starters from a defense that yielded more than 37 points and 455 total yards a game in 2018. Edge: Penn State.
- When Idaho has the ball: This might be Penn State’s best defense since James Franklin became coach in 2014. The Lions will have plenty of speed and hope to be disruptive every week. Edge: Penn State.
- Special teams: New special teams coordinator Joe Lorig arrived at Penn State with a strong reputation. KJ Hamler is expected to handle kickoff and punt returns. Jordan Stout, a transfer from Virginia Tech, will handle kickoffs. Look for a big improvement in this area. Edge: Penn State.
By the numbers
|Per game||Idaho||Penn State|
Idaho: Paul Petrino, 23-48, seventh season.
Penn State: James Franklin, 45-21, sixth season.
“With the defense we have this year and the way we’re playing together, we feel like we can be as good as anybody in the country.” — Jesse Luketa, Penn State linebacker.
Big Ten standings (2018)
|EAST||Big Ten||All||WEST||Big Ten||All|
This week’s other Big Ten games
- Tulsa at Michigan State, 7 p.m., Friday (FS1)
- Wisconsin at South Florida, 7 p.m., Friday (ESPN)
- Massachusetts at Rutgers, 7:15 p.m., Friday (BTN)
- Akron at Illinois, noon, Saturday (BTN)
- Indiana vs. Ball State at Indianapolis, noon, Saturday (CBSSN)
- Howard at Maryland, noon, Saturday (BTN)
- South Alabama at Nebraska, noon, Saturday (ESPN)
- Florida Atlantic at Ohio State, noon, Saturday (FOX)
- Northwestern at Stanford, 4 p.m., Saturday (FOX)
- Miami (Ohio) at Iowa, 7:30 p.m., Saturday (FS1)
- Middle Tennessee State at Michigan, 7:30 p.m. Saturday (BTN)
- Purdue at Nevada, 9:30 p.m., Saturday (CBSSN)
Next in this series
Trace McSorley is hoping for a better outcome tonight.
- Penn State recruiting target previews decision; Big Ten is better than the SEC, and more
- Penn State's James Franklin weighs in on recruiting surge; Trace McSorley again called nation's top QB, and more
- Idaho school can't find small bit of weapons-grade plutonium
- Primary Preview: 92nd Legislative District
- Michigan State football predictions 2018: Week 5 vs. Central Michigan
- NJ girls lacrosse tournament: Bracket-by-bracket preview
- Primary Preview: Pennsylvania Governor
- Boise family's dog was attacked in its own backyard. Fish and Game suspects a bobcat
- Man who died in Boise mountain biking accident was an experienced trail rider
- The X Games are coming back to Boise. Here's how to get tickets.
- After 2 months of record-high home prices in the Valley, costs fell. Here's why.
- Re-ranking college football teams 1-130 following spring practice
- Wrestling takeaways: Hawkeyes strike out in trials challenge tourney, David Carr comes close
- Dragsters to hobby stocks: Campbells enjoy switch to Hawkeye Downs
- Not yet starter, Tua Tagovailoa named Athlon 1st team All-SEC, 2nd team All-America; rep explains
- June rocks with Alive After Five, family festivals and free movie nights
- Final Section V high school scoreboard: Wednesday, May 23
- Final Section V high school scoreboard: Tuesday, May 22
- Meet a survivor, a 'weirdo' and a woman 'stronger than the stigma' at the Human Library
- Calendar: April 19-26
Gameday preview: Idaho at Penn State have 1027 words, post on www.readingeagle.com at August 30, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.