A house caught fire Wednesday afternoon in Lemon Grove, sending a column of dark smoke into the air above East County, officials and witnesses said.
The blaze was reported about 3:50 p.m. at a single-story home on Dupont Drive near Dayton Drive, Heartland Fire & Rescue spokesman Sonny Saghera said. The home is about a block from Monterey Heights Elementary School and several baseball fields used by Lemon Grove Little League.
Fire crews arrived at the home to find heavy smoke and flames, Saghera said.
A San Diego sheriff’s watch commander said deputies closed off Dupont Drive and evacuated surrounding houses. He said there were no initial reports of injuries.
This is a breaking news story that will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Syracuse firefighters battle early morning house fire on Park Avenue
- Firefighters battle 2-alarm house fire in Medford
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm house fire in Monmouth County
- Chinatown Fire: Firefighters Battle 3-Alarm Blaze in New York City, Injuries Reported
- Cambridge firefighters battle stubborn 4-alarm blaze
- Maine firefighters battle at least 3 house fires on Thanksgiving
- Lewiston firefighters battle blaze
- Columbia firefighters battle blaze at historic site of old mental hospital
- Syracuse firefighters battle house fire on city’s West Side
- Oswego County firefighters battle blaze that left 1 person homeless