Carol Cain Free Press Business Columnist Published 6:30 AM EDT Aug 24, 2019 David Coulter had been planning on attending a few ribbon cuttings and other community events this week as mayor of Ferndale, a town of 20,000, in a job he’s held since 2011. But destiny stepped in, aided by some old-fashioned politics. Coulter, a Democrat, earlier this month was anointed by the Democratically controlled Oakland County Commission as the new county executive. The high-profile job catapults him into the region’s “Big Four” political leaders, joining Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel and Wayne County Executive Warren Evans. Coulter will hold his first meeting Monday with his new staff to talk about his vision and the future. “It’s understandable (some) people are concerned,” said Coulter, who stepped into the role held the past 26 years by L. Brooks Patterson, the Republican leader who built something of a dynasty. Patterson died of pancreatic cancer on Aug. 3 at the age of 80. Coulter now oversees a staff of 6,000 full- and part-timers, many of whom never worked for a boss other than Patterson. Coulter told me he didn’t ask for the job nor did he campaign for it (unlike others… Read full this story
- Victoria and David Beckham builds son Romeo a £30,000 tennis court at their lavish £6million Cotswold mansion
- Oakland County launches vaping education effort
- Oakland County Exec Patterson gets spirit boost with T-shirt
- Study: Oakland County far ahead in Michigan for affluence
- Churches, old Catholic schools hot sites for housing in Oakland County
- 4 new businesses coming to southeast Oakland County
- Michigan's most endangered species nears extinction in Oakland County
- Oakland County accused of discrimination with housing policies
- Kaffer: Oakland County ground zero for segregation?
- Oakland County Jail scam call asking for money is back again
David Coulter builds team as he takes reins in Oakland County have 300 words, post on eu.freep.com at August 16, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.