The Paeroa pizza shop where Jordan Voudouris was shot in an unsolved murder case was destroyed by fire last night.
Emergency services were called to the building on Belmont Rd in Paeroa just after 9pm to find it burning fiercely.
The shop is now called the Pizza Box, but used to be Mykonos Pizza, which was owned by Mr Voudouris.
The 55-year-old was gunned down outside the store in 2012.
The case remains unsolved.
A Fire and Emergency spokesman said fire crews had extinguished the blaze and left the scene at about 2am.
Viv Leonard, who was a good friend of Mr Voudouris, owns the antiques store next door, which also came close to succumbing to the flames.
“We had our first show in 45 years in Paeroa’s old picture theatre, and it was a show from Liverpool so it was a really big deal for Paeroa,” she said.
“In the middle of it the fire sirens started going and people were thinking it must be a car accident. But then a message got through that the shop next door to mine was on fire.”
Her shop, Arkwrights Antiques, was full of smoke while flames were pouring out of the pizza shop.
“There were flames shooting through the roof when the fire brigade got here. And this shop’s over 100 years old so it would have just gone up,” she said.
“It was pretty scary there for an hour or so until they got the flames under control. They just did so well to get it under control.”
A garden memorial that Ms Leonard made to Mr Voudouris at the back of the shop wasn’t damaged.
In it there’s a simple plaque with the words: ‘Jordan Voudouris, Our Pizza man, rest in peace’.
“Jordan was my neighbour for eight years and he was always really lovely and helpful and he was a great guy. So yeah, that was pretty sad,” she said.
“And then for this to happen, it was like, ‘Oh my God’. So I’m starting to think the place is a bit doomed actually.”
The pizza shop had been sold two or three times since Mr Voudouris’ death, she said.
Mr Voudouris was found lying in a pool of blood at the rear of his shop early on 18 June, 2012. A $50,000 reward for information has not been claimed.
The death of the much-loved pizza shop owner left his family and the small Paeroa community completely stunned and desperate for answers.
- Village in Philippines Bans Dota After Recent Murders
- Pokemon Go's Latest Achievement: Helping Sell Pizza
- Fortnite: where to visit different taco shops in a single match
- How the creators of Hitman use social science to design perfect murder playgrounds
- Black Desert Online impressions: get rich or die trying
- House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn is an awesome throwback to arcade glory days
- Stronghold Preview
- Dead Rising Hands-On: Capcom Gamer's Day
- GC 2008: Far Cry 2 Hands-On - Map Editor, Single-Player Impressions, and Dynamic Narrative
- How the never released Resident Evil 1.5 survived 22 years to appear in Resident Evil 2 Remake
- Resident Evil 2: The Ghost Survivors detailed ahead of the free DLC's launch this Friday
- Shocking moment thug tries to run over a rival gang member as mass brawl erupts on streets of Sunderland
- Schattenjäger! Gabriel Knight 20th Anniversary Remake
- I judged every citizen of Karnaca in Dishonored 2
- The Crew 2's America features some very weird stores
- Fortnite Challenges Week 8 leak
- No More Heroes Hands-On
- L.A. Noire Walkthrough
- Ranking the 25 live-action comic book movies of the ’90s
- Mafia II Walkthrough
Pizza shop where owner was murdered destroyed by fire have 572 words, post on www.odt.co.nz at July 12, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.