The Trump administration is deploying a carrier strike group and bombers to the Middle East in response to troubling “indications and warnings” from Iran and to show the United States will retaliate with “unrelenting force” to any attack.
- National security advisor John Bolton says the decision is meant to send a “clear and unmistakable message” to Tehran
- US official says no imminent Iranian attack expected
- Iran threatened to close Strait of Hormuz after US announced it would end exemptions to buyers of Iranian oil
With tensions already high between Washington and Tehran, a US official said the deployment had been ordered “as a deterrence to what has been seen as potential preparations by Iranian forces and its proxies that may indicate possible attacks on US forces in the region”.
However, the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the United States was not expecting any imminent Iranian attack.
National security advisor John Bolton — who has spearheaded an increasingly hawkish US policy on Iran — said the decision, which could exacerbate problems between the two countries, was meant to send a “clear and unmistakable message” of US resolve to Tehran.
Though he cited no specific Iranian activities that have raised new concerns, Iran recently warned it would block the Strait of Hormuz if it was barred from using the strategic waterway. About a fifth of the oil consumed globally passes through the strait.
“The United States is not seeking war with the Iranian regime, but we are fully prepared to respond to any attack, whether by proxy, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps or regular Iranian forces,” Mr Bolton said in a statement.
It marked the latest in a series of moves by President Donald Trump’s administration aimed at ratcheting up pressure on Iran in recent months.
Washington has said it will stop waivers for countries buying Iranian oil in an attempt to reduce Iran’s oil exports to zero.
It has also blacklisted Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard Corps, taking the unprecedented step of designating it as a foreign terrorist organisation, which Iran has cast as an American provocation.
Attack on US interests ‘will be met with unrelenting force’
The Trump administration’s efforts to impose political and economic isolation on Tehran began last year when it unilaterally withdrew from the nuclear deal it and other world powers negotiated with Iran in 2015.
“The United States is deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the US Central Command region to send a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime that any attack on United States interests or on those of our allies will be met with unrelenting force,” Mr Bolton said.
Mr Bolton did not provide any further details.
A US Navy statement issued early last month said the aircraft carrier and its accompanying convoy of ships had steamed out of Norfolk, Virginia, on April 1 “for a regularly scheduled deployment”, but it did not give any destination at the time.
While it is not rare for the United States to have aircraft carriers in the Middle East, Mr Bolton’s language could increase tensions.
The threat late last month from the IRGC to close the Strait of Hormuz followed a US announcement that it would end exemptions granted last year to eight buyers of Iranian oil and demand they stop purchases by May 1 or face sanctions.
European governments have opposed Washington’s reinstatement of sanctions on Iran.
A senior Trump administration official said at the time that any aggressive move by Iran in the strait would be unjustified and unacceptable.
Iran has made threats to block the waterway in the past, without acting on them.
- Japan plans to send 270 sailors to Middle East to guard ships -Nikkei
- Japan planning to send 270 sailors to Middle East to guard ships: Nikkei
- US May Send Aircraft Carrier Into Strait of Hormuz as Tensions High - Commander
- US to send 1K additional troops to Middle East amid Iran tensions
- ‘Sink two aircraft carriers’: Chinese Admiral’s chilling recipe to dominate the South China Sea
- Intelligence Indicates ‘Potential Iranian Attack’ Against US Forces in Middle East – Report
- Pentagon confirms it's drawing up plans to send as many as 7,000 troops to the Middle East despite threat from Iran and Donald Trump's pledge to 'end the endless wars'
- Thousands more US troops could be headed to Middle East
- US considers sending thousands more troops to Middle East to deter Iran
- The $18bn arms race helping to fuel Middle East conflict
- Fresh intelligence points to Iranian threat against US forces and interests in Middle East, officials say
- Trump Comments on US-China Ties, Afghan Peace Talks, Greenland and Middle East Peace Plan
- Middle East swelters in heatwave as temperatures top 50C
- Poland May Increase Military Presence in Middle East - Security Bureau Chief
- Iran Uses 'Suicide Drones' to Surveil U.S. Military Positions and Provoke Forces in Middle East
- US-Polish Conference on Middle East Aims to Divide Europeans - Tehran
- Pentagon mulls sending up to 7,000 additional forces to Middle East, officials say
- Donald Trump is considering DOUBLING number of troops in the Middle East and sending 'dozens' more ships over threat from Iran
- Spotlight: Japan weighing dispatching SDF to Middle East in volte-face on matter
- Pentagon official: 'Possible' more US troops could be deployed to Middle East
United States sending aircraft carrier and bombers to Middle East to deter Iran have 1035 words, post on www.abc.net.au at May 6, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.