It’s said that 1971 was a glorious year for Indian intelligence services. They aided the
in making the Pakistani forces surrender after a 13-day war, which eventually led to the creation of
. This success wouldn’t have been possible without a strong backing from the Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW), which provided the right intel to the Indian forces.
With the historic period between 1968 and 1971 as its backdrop, director Robbie Grewal’s Romeo Akbar Walter delves into the human side of military intelligence and underlines the sacrifices made by officials, who choose to remain nameless and faceless despite their contribution to national security.
While John Abraham plays an Indian intelligence official, BT has it that
has been cast to portray a character based on RN Kao, the first chief and the founding father of the R&AW. Jackie’s character is a mild-mannered, but shrewd strategist who is fiercely private in his ways, pretty much the way Kao was known to be. His contribution in shaping R&AW and the role it played in the Ind0-Pak conflict of 1971 is phenomenal.
He was also the man behind the creation of the Mukti Vahini, a homegrown guerilla force in the erstwhile East Pakistan that battled for independence, among other things.
After signing the dotted line, Jackie had asked for information on his character, which is a fictionalised version of the real R&AW chief. He was told that Mr Kao had only been photographed twice in his entire lifetime and there’s little known about him in the public domain. The actor decided to approach the part with that brief in mind.
Elaborating on this, director Robbie Grewal told BT, “It’s a fictitious character culled out of what we know about Mr Kao. It’s said that it was his idea to train the locals in East Pakistan to fight their battle for independence and our army would back it. Now, that is the kind of battle India fought in 1971, which was the reverse of what had happened in Vietnam. So, Jackie’s character is an important one, which puts a lot of things in perspective. The part needed an actor who could have a presence without screaming for attention, someone who could bring gravitas and a required degree of intensity in every frame. Wo bina bole bahut bol jaate hain. There’s an understated aura about the character that Jackie grasps very well. Mr Kao also had an old-school vibe, had refined tastes and was a looker. Jackie fits that bill perfectly.”
- WWF Raw is War Updated Preview
- Xbox One X is the beginning of a new era for Xbox, and the Master Chief Collection update proves it
- The Halo Master Chief Collection Update is Finally Here and Brings Major Fixes
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection Review Roundup
- Major Update for Halo: The Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Match Composer and New Controller Options Coming Soon to Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- Halo Master Chief Collection PC release rumored to happen around E3
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection coming to PC via Steam and the Windows store – plus it’s adding Halo Reach
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection Announced for PC with Halo: Reach
- Master Chief Collection Update Improves Matchmaking Times, But Doesn't Fix Uneven Teams