THE February half-term break is nearly here and parents are getting ready for the first holiday after Christmas.
Here is all the info you need for the 2018/2019 school term dates.
When is the February half-term 2019?
The official dates for half term this month are Monday, February 18 to Friday, February 22.
But school holiday dates in the UK can vary between the different local education authorities.
For example Central Bedfordshire’s spring half term is from February 11-15, whereas City of York is from February 25-March 1, so check carefully.
What are the school holiday and half term dates for the rest of the 2018/2019 academic year?
School holiday and term time dates can vary depending on which part of the country you live in.
The dates below are just a rough guide, but check your local council website for the exact dates.
- Spring term: Thursday, January 3, 2019 – Friday, February 15, 2019
- Spring half term: Monday, February 18, 2019 – Friday, February 22, 2019
- Spring term: Monday, February 25, 2019 – Friday, April 5, 2019
- Easter holidays: Monday, April 8, 2019 – Monday, April 22, 2019
- Summer term: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 – Friday, May 24, 2019
- Summer half term: Monday, May 27, 2019 – Friday, May 31, 2019
- Summer term: Monday, June 3, 2019 – Wednesday, July 24, 2019
Why are holidays so expensive during the school holidays?
As hotels, airlines and tour operators know that more people will want to jet off during school holidays, many hike up their prices.
Recent research has revealed that some holidays are nine times more expensive when schools are off when compared to term time.
Now there are growing calls for the government to intervene and force tour operators to lower their prices during the holidays so fewer children are taken out of school during term time.
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK
Discover half term fun with Lego Movie 2, nature hunts and toboggans
PRICE OF FUN
4 in 10 parents risked £1,000 fine & prison to take kids on term-time holidays
GIVE US A BREAK
Christmas is almost here, when do your kids finish school for the holidays?
What age can you leave your child at home alone? Here’s what the law says
Half term activities for October 2018 – things to do during the school break
Is it legal to take your children on holiday during term time?
Parents are only allowed to let their children miss school if they are sick.
Previously heads could grant 10 days of authorised absence but they are now unable to grant any at all.
It’s been revealed that almost 20,000 people were taken to court in 2015 after their children missed school without permission – an increase of more than a fifth.
Those who take their kids out of school will be slapped with a £60 fine which rises to £120 if not paid after 21 days.
- Holly Willoughby basks in the evening sunshine while hitting the beach in the midst of her half-term holidays... yet swaps a bikini for a demure shirt
- Less Than Half of US High Schools Teach the CDC-Recommended Sex Ed Curriculum
- Carnival at dawn: 40,000 run good race in Airtel Delhi Half Marathon 2019
- 'Sun, sea and sandcastles... goodbye for now': Holly Willoughby shares rare snap of her beloved three kids as she bids farewell to the half-term holiday with idyllic beach picture
- St. Thomas of Villanova kicks off 2019-2020 school year
- Half a million kids could lose free school lunches
- David and Victoria Beckham take daughter Harper for an afternoon of shopping in Beverly Hills as they spend half-term in Los Angeles
- Ducati to introduce 5 DRE events in the second half of 2019
- Eritrean athlete wins Minsk Half Marathon 2019
- How Do Deerfield Schools Take On The Menace Of Bullying?