JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — The Juneau Arts and Humanities Council changed the theme of its annual fashion show following a complaint by Alaska Airlines.
The Wearable Art show scheduled for mid-February in Alaska’s capital changed its theme of turbulence to tailwind, the Juneau Empire reported
The Seattle-based airline, a sponsor of the event, suggested the change, citing the word’s negative connection to air travel.
“From our side of the house, tailwinds are much more favorable than turbulence,” said Tim Thompson, spokesman for Alaska Airlines.
Alaska Airlines donated $25,000 to the council in December and gave more than $25,000 in travel credit. Its drill team is also the opening act for the two-day event.
“It came to our attention that turbulence perhaps isn’t positive when connected to an airplane,” said Nancy DeCherney, the council’s executive director. “We thought about what we could do to ameliorate the situation.”
The council’s board members and the airline felt the new theme was a positive change, DeCherney said. The council announced the change Monday, about a month before the event.
“Naturally, it came abruptly, and the artists were taken by surprise,” DeCherney said.
The art pieces featured in the show are not required to match the theme, she said.
“I’d imagine we’ll find some things on the runway that are still referencing turbulence, and that’s just fine,” DeCherney said.
Information from: Juneau (Alaska) Empire, http://www.juneauempire.com
- This guy’s huge coat helped him protest Ryanair’s latest change to luggage rules
- What we should learn from Muslim women’s fashion
- Disneyland teams up with Alaska Airlines on a Pixar Pier-themed plane
- Alaska Airlines and American Airlines end miles partnership
- New airline routes: November's roundup of new flights
- Why Alaska Air Group, Inc. (NYSE:ALK) Could Be Worth Watching
- Airline Food Waste Is a Problem. Can Banana Leaves Be Part of the Solution?
- As Rita Ora’s new album drops, a look back at her best fashion moments
- The problem with 'sustainable fashion'
- 50 ways women's lives have changed over the last half century
- Burberry has teamed up with Vivienne Westwood for the ultimate fashion collaboration
- Harry Potter fans can now buy a colour-changing glass and mug for under £5 each… and they look MAGICAL
- EU could postpone abolishing time change until 2021
- World War One-themed display at Whitby’s Pannett Art Gallery
- >>>ANSA/ 40 brands launch UN Charter for Sustainable Fashion
- Fashion icon Dame Vivienne Westwood shows support for anti-fracking campaigners in Lancashire
- From banks, to retailers, to airlines
- Implementing resolutions, conclusions and regulations of PCC’s eighth plenum in a drastic and effective fashion
- Our travel correspondent reveals how hitchhiking has changed in 40 years
- Former South Hampstead High School student putting on fashion show for Save the Children
Alaska fashion show changes theme after airline objects have 445 words, post on apnews.com at January 18, 2019. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.