Facebook Twitter Flipboard Email Enlarge this image Anand Brian Anand Brian Editor’s note: This story was originally published in February and has been republished with updates. Today, everyone respects Arunachalam Muruganantham, 52, a social entrepreneur who lives in the city of Coimbatore in South India. But there was a time, he says, when his neighbors were convinced he had lost his mind. Some even believed that he was a vampire. “It all started because I wanted to create a good sanitary napkin for my wife,” he laughs. That was back in 1998, when Muruganantham married Shanthi Natrajan. He saw that she would use torn rags to absorb the blood during the onset of her menstrual cycle. He was shocked to find out how common this practice was. Other women in the villages around Coimbatore would use whatever was at their disposal — wrapping small mounds of ash or sand in cloth to use as absorbents. Later that year, he began to experiment. He was intent on creating a cheaper sanitary napkin. “In the ’90s, the napkins were available in Indian stores and supermarkets, but because of high production costs, they were out of reach of many,” he says. And they… Read full this story
- Severino: Dark Money ‘Demand Justice’s’ SCOTUS Short List Full of Far Left Activists
- Creating a Short List When Purchasing Real Estate
- Will Your Resume Make the "Short List"?
- Read This Short List of Ways to Make Money Online
- Living Life Large - Without an Oscar Nomination Or a Recording Contract
- The Best GPS For Your Car - The Short List of What to Look For
- Weight Loss Myths - Short List of Lies
- Long Island Banquet Halls - The Short List
- Top 10 - Movies of the 80's
- List Building Strategies - Driving Targeted Traffic With Article Marketing
A Menstruation Movie Is On The Short List For An Oscar Nomination have 304 words, post on www.npr.org at December 31, 2018. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.