In a year filled with heightened political vitriol, two deaths brought the nation together to remember men who represented a seemingly bygone era of U.S. politics. George H.W. Bush was a president, vice president, congressman, CIA director and Navy pilot during World War II, where he flew 58 missions and was shot down over the Pacific. As a politician, he had his fair share of critics and was voted out of office after one term as president. But the Republican reinvented himself in the years after his time in the White House, becoming a fundraiser for disaster relief and forming an unlikely friendship with the man who ousted him from office, former President Bill Clinton. Former President George H.W. Bush (right) died in November. He was 94 John McCain was a political giant in his own right. He served as a senator for more than 30 years, ran for president twice and spent five years as a prisoner of war after being shot down during the Vietnam War. In captivity, McCain endured torture and even turned down a chance to be released early, denying the North Vietnamese military a propaganda victory. Bush died in in November at age 94, just… Read full this story
- 'Joe is not playing with a full deck' says Donald Trump as Biden escalates attack on president - but is tripped up by his own gaffes including saying 'poor kids are as bright and talented as white kids'
- 30 Years After Soviet Afghan Pull-Out: CIA-Funded Mujahideen War Backfired on US
- Evo Morales grins and waves as he lands in Mexico before praising the country for saving his life and vowing to continue the 'struggle' in exile after he was forced to quit as Bolivian president
- Brexit, the Beast from the East and plenty of bouncing Royal babies: As the decade draws to a close, MailOnline looks back on ten years marked by political turmoil, extreme weather and the Queen's acting debut at the Olympics
- Final goodbye: Recalling influential people who died in 2019
- Mourning the celebrities who died in 2016 and celebrating the legacy they left behind
- Disney Plus: What TV Shows and Films Are on Disney Plus?
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s first overseas tour is over – what are the highlights of their trip to Australia and New Zealand?
- 'I see you': How Kamala Harris left a legacy for girls of color
- Donald Trump's 199 wildest lines of 2019
A Cold War warrior president, the Queen of Soul and a Maverick senator: The giants who we bade farewell to during 2018 have 394 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 17, 2018. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.