Sutton police are chiming in after photos of a bus crossing a center line and blocking both lanes of traffic made rounds on social media.
They posted the photos to their Facebook page Friday morning, saying they understand the frustrations the bus driver must endure when motorists don’t stop, despite flashing red lights.
“With that being said, if positioning a school bus in this fashion causes motorists to stop, and a child to safely board or disembark their school bus, we’re in favor of it,” they wrote.
However, they added that although the tactic would force motorists to stop, they need to make clear that it’s illegal to do so.
Several people commented on the post in favor of the tactic.
“I have seen a few in Spencer. Leicester and oxford on my way into work do the same great job protecting the children,” wrote Patty Dipadua.
“Thank you to that bus driver for putting the children’s safety first,” wrote Trudy Beique Plante.
Not all of the responses have been positive.
“So just to add a counter point,” wrote Tony Veale. “Bus stops diagonally across the road. Fire truck or ambulance appears with flashing lights. Bus stalls or breaks down. Emergency services cannot get past. Unlikely scenario I know but has a finite possibility and is completely avoidable.”
Police say all vehicles must stop for a school bus with flashing red lights and not proceed until flashing lights are deactivated. The only two exceptions to the law are if a police officer signals an operator to proceed or cars are approaching from the opposite direction on a divided highway.
- Chris Evans scandalizes social media after accidentally sharing an unidentified nude photo on his Instagram Story
- 'Bus drivers were forced to play Russian roulette' – the shocking truth about the death of Mervyn Kennedy
- Baby hanged by dad, shootings & suicide – Ronnie McNutt death just latest horror vid social media giants failed to stop
- City of Lynwood distances itself from city manager’s social media post about shooting of LA County deputies
- 'I'm not drunk, it's my car:' Tesla's 'full self-driving' gets mixed reviews
- Welcome to Europe: Smiling Tunisian terrorist poses for photo on the day he arrived in Italy on a migrant boat - just a month before he beheaded a woman and killed two more Catholics in church massacre in France
- 'Protect Our Kids': Photo of Children in Florida on Crowded School Bus Causes Concern
- The suburb where lifestyle is more important than saving lives: Police close Manly Beach after thousands flout social distancing rules AGAIN to enjoy a swim at the Sydney coronavirus hotspot
- Shocking moment Rolls-Royce driver smashes into £160,000 Lamborghini before fleeing the scene of £410,000 supercar smash
- Postrace posts and quotes from IndyCar drivers after the Harvest GP
- 'If you're Indian, get off my page': Supercars driver turned porn star goes on a vile racist rant after accusing her followers of 'stealing' her nudes and sharing them online
- What you need to know about buying an electric car: Your guide to pure electric and hybrid cars and the best new models arriving in showrooms
- The drivers brought to a halt by almost EMPTY cycle lanes: Audit of traffic reveals how £225million green scheme is squeezing furious motorists onto narrowed streets next to deserted bike lanes
- Biden campaign cancels event in Texas after pro-Trump cars surrounded its bus
- Dramatic aerial photos reveal the devastation caused by 200 wildfires raging across California, Oregon and Washington leaving at least seven dead and incinerating 3.4m acres
- Car-free neighbourhoods: the unlikely new frontline in the culture wars
- Police flood Queen Vic Market in Australia after woman dragged from car at checkpoint, fuelling anti-lockdown anger
- Woman rushes to rescue 'dalmatian' struck by car - only to realise hilarious mix-up
- 'Trump Train' in Texas followed Biden bus down highway, FBI investigating
- 'Have we forgotten social distancing?' Critics accuse beach crowds of 'undoing the hard work of lockdown' during dash to the seaside on hottest August day in 17 years as staycation stampede leaves roads gridlocked
Photos of Sutton bus driver stopping diagonally to block cars sparks social media debate have 654 words, post on www.masslive.com at November 9, 2018. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.