The World Wide Web is officially old enough for us judge what it’s produced. That’s right, it’s time for the world to start building a canon of the most significant websites of all time, and the Gizmodo staff has opinions. What does a spot on this list mean? It certainly doesn’t mean “best.” A number of sites on this list are cesspools now and always have been. We’re not even sure the internet was a good idea—we’ll need another few decades before we come to any conclusions. In this case, we set out to rank the websites—not apps (like Instagram), not services (like PayPal)—that influenced the very nature of the internet, changed the world, stole ideas better than anyone, pioneered a genre, or were just really important to us. Some of these sites seemed perfectly arbitrary a decade ago and turned into monstrous destinations or world-destroying monopolies. Other sites have been net positives for humanity and gave us a glimpse of what can happen when the world works together. In many ways this list is an evaluation of power and who has seized it. In other ways, it’s an appreciation of the places that still make the web worth surfing…. Read full this story
- Pop Music Stans Aren’t Crazy, They’re Having A Conversation
- Killer Robots Are Coming And These People Are Trying To Stop Them
- I Hated Britney Spears Until I Saw Myself In Her
- How Sweden Became “The Most Alt-Right” Country In Europe
- Ev Williams Wants To Save Media — Again. But Some Writers And Publishers Are Skeptical.
- Can Lesbian Identity Survive The Gender Revolution?
- What Happened To Black Lives Matter?
- Here's What It's Like To Live Inside Donald Trump's Head
- What keeps cybersecurity experts up at night?
- How Goop’s Haters Made Gwyneth Paltrow’s Company Worth $250 Million
100 Websites That Shaped the Internet as We Know It have 318 words, post on gizmodo.com at October 19, 2018. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.