For those who eat with their eyes, Gourmet Temptations, a pastry boutique in Surfside with a decor worthy of a Parisian postcard, is a charming destination for sugar-coated delights.
Odile N’Guessan, a Côte d’Ivoire native who grew up and trained in Paris, is the owner and baker. Fascinated with the visuals of pastries, the self-declared chocoholic loves to spend her days in the kitchen, where she practices the alchemy of exact measurements that result in unique edible sculptures.
N’Guessan likens her edible creations to French couture fashion.”My pastries are like jewelry, small, attractive and very precious,” she says.
Flavors are present, not masked by copious amounts of sugar in the treats she calls temptations ($7), injected with vanilla strawberry or chocolate caramel. The shop also offers white raspberry, and coco and mint temptation tarts ($4.20); Oreo, raspberry cupcakes ($1.50) and miniature coffee and chocolate eclairs ($4.20). Distinguishable takes on traditional confections include the nougat bar and chocolate stirrer ($5), hazelnut chocolate bars ($12), and a classic chocolate croissant ($2.50).
COURTESY OF GOURMET TEMPTATIONS PARIS
The shop’s cozy lounge area and the French cafe music offer a sweet respite while savoring macarons ($2.50) filled with pistachio, blackcurrant, or caramel and sipping on the GT hot chocolate made with Valrona cocoa ($7.50). Other drinks include fresh orange juice and Dammann Frères tea ($4). Marshmallows and caramel bags of a dozen cost $5.
The mother of four says she is constantly coming up with new aesthetics and techniques to make her gluten-free birthday cakes, special versions of the Buche de Noel, and other decorative desserts she customizes for the local clientele. (prices upon request), Gourmet Temptations just launched a series of classes this month for those who want to learn the authentic art of French patisserie.
Gourmet Temptations. 9573 Harding Ave., Surfside; 305-397-8197; gourmet-temptations.com. Tuesday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m, Sundays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- French pastries! The 5 best eclairs in the SF Bay Area
- Still on Main aims to bring retail back to Pawtucket Main Street
- The Best Texas Restaurants in Every City
- The ultimate guide to 6 charming 30A beach towns
- Memphis restaurants: What's new in 2019
- The Best Places to Eat, Drink, Shop and More in Montréal
- NYC parents flee to the Amalfi Coast while kids are at camp
- Summer dining served on the shores of Lake Minnetonka
- North County does brunch: New spots for breakfast and lunch
- 14 finalists star in 2019 Staten Island Advance Cookbook
- 11 new North Jersey restaurants you need to try
- Welcome to your official Summer Guide, 2019 edition
- 100 Fun Things to Do This Summer in Minnesota
- The Insider's Guide to Nantucket with Author Nancy Thayer
- 36 Hours in Dakar
- 7 affordable places to travel this summer
- How Employers Can Encourage Healthy Eating at Work
- Family-run Ciao Ristorante in Vista unveils dramatic transformation
- Food Network's 'Bake You Rich' desserts at Whisk Dessert Bar
- Draining the Food Swamp
Gourmet Temptations Pastry Boutique Brings Parisian Style to Surfside have 463 words, post on www.miaminewtimes.com at August 15, 2018. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.