Donovan Slack USA TODAY Published 4:57 p.m. UTC Jul 30, 2018 WASHINGTON — President Trump on Monday is slated to swear in the fourth secretary of Veterans Affairs in five years. Robert Wilkie, previously an undersecretary at the Pentagon, takes the reins of the veterans’ agency at a critical time. He will be responsible for overseeing the creation of regulations governing when veterans can access VA-funded medical care in the private sector under a law signed by Trump in June. The issue already is the subject of a fraught political battle over the future of the VA. At his confirmation hearing last month, Wilkie vowed he would oppose any efforts to privatize the VA and said he believes the most significant challenges facing the VA are “administrative and bureaucratic.” He said he plans to rely on his experience as undersecretary of Defense for personnel and readiness to improve morale and cut through the bureaucracy to modernize the VA. “For the VA to thrive as an integrated health care network, it must be agile and adaptive,” Wilkie said. More: 5 things to know about incoming VA secretary Robert Wilkie His nomination was confirmed by the Senate 86-9 and he has the support… Read full this story
- Biden's nominee for VA secretary isn't a veteran — does it matter?
- Bill Stepien, President Trump's campaign manager, tests positive for coronavirus
- Trump Names New Impeachment Legal Team, One Day After Previous Team Bailed
- VA secretary nominee sails through confirmation hearing
- President Trump disputes health officials, sees mass vaccinations soon
- As Trump suspends new H-1B visas, many tech workers face an uncertain future
- Fox News White House reporter John Roberts slams 'petty' ABC News colleague Jonathan Karl for trying to 'shame' him for not wearing a mask in the Rose Garden before Trump's press conference
- Bannon's VERY rocky road to pardon: How millionaire ex-Breitbart chairman who led Trump to victory resigned as chief strategist after fall out with Javanka and was arrested on Chinese fugitive's yacht for 'robbing $1 million from Trump wall donors'
- Transcript: Sen. Lindsey Graham on "Face the Nation," February 7, 2021
- The Hill's Morning Report - Biden seeks vaccine for all by summer; Trump censure?
President Trump to swear in new VA secretary: Here's what Robert Wilkie faces on day one have 350 words, post on eu.usatoday.com at July 30, 2018. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.