The softball season is slowly rounding home with the playoffs looming. Here’s our top 10 heading into the last few weeks of the regular season:
1. WEST TORRANCE (21-2, 3-0)
The Warriors look like a runaway freight train ready to barrel into the playoffs. West has won 14 straight games, including an impressive 13-0 romp over rival South – a team that handed West one of its only two losses earlier this season – last week. Pitcher Mailee Newman has been on top of her game and the offense is coming through with timely and clutch hitting.
2. SOUTH TORRANCE (17-5, 2-1)
Things fell apart for sophomore pitcher Sophia Fernandez over her last two games – in the aforementioned loss to West and an 11-10 win over Torrance – but she was cruising before those two games. If Fernandez’s pitching gets back on track, South’s hitting is stellar enough to keep the Spartans in the running for a Pioneer League title and a deep playoff run.
3. NORTH TORRANCE (16-9, 2-1)
Kyndra Marzorini is as solid a pitcher as one can find in the South Bay and she’s had some timely hitting backing her up. North played Pioneer League leader West close in a 5-3 loss on April 11 and will get one more crack at the Warriors on Friday, two days after playing South in back-to-back games that will go a long way toward deciding the Saxons’ fate this season.
4. MIRA COSTA (12-9-1, 3-0)
The Mustangs are leading the Bay League behind solid pitching from junior Sloan Cooksey and freshman Katie Katsuyama. Two games against rival Redondo still loom, but Mira Costa proved itself in games against fellow South Bay powers, splitting a doubleheader with North and dropping a close 3-2 game to West on April 13.
5. CARSON (18-7, 6-0)
The Colts are on fire atop the Marine League on a six-game winning streak, thanks largely to the play of Ashley Wies. The plate, Wies is hitting 8 for 15 with 11 RBIs over that stretch. In the circle, Wies has allowed just three earned runs over her last 19 innings pitched, including a three-hitter with nine strikeouts in a stunning 10-0 rout of rival Banning on April 18.
6. BANNING (16-7-1, 5-1)
Sophomore pitcher Angelina DeVoe has been humming along outside of the Pilots’ 10-0 loss to Carson last week, where she was tagged for 15 hits and four earned runs. Taking that strange outing out of the equation, DeVoe has allowed just two earned runs in her last 30 innings. Banning’s offense hasn’t been much help for DeVoe as the Pilots have scored just one run in their last three games. If the pitching and offense can get on the same page, Banning can still be a threat down the stretch.
7. SAN PEDRO (14-13-1, 4-2)
It’s been a tumultuous couple of weeks for the Pirates as former coach Robert Whitney – who led the team to an L.A. City Section title last season – was dismissed under mysterious circumstances and replaced by legendary coach Tony Dobra, who will coach the team the remainder of the season. Dobra lost his first games against fellow league powers Carson and Banning last week, but he’ll see them once more before the end of the season. Don’t count out Dobra when it comes to finding a way to cause problems for the Pilots and Colts the second time around.
8. TORRANCE (8-10, 1-2)
The Tartars’ offense is playing well, but the pitching has been inconsistent. Torrance has scored at least 10 runs in four of its last six games, but is only 3-3 in that stretch. The Tartars will get another crack at West, South and North before the season ends.
9. PALOS VERDES (7-8, 2-1)
The dark horse candidate in the Bay League, PV played Mira Costa close in a 4-3 loss on April 12 and gets one more shot at the Mustangs on May 1.
10. MARY STAR (13-7, 7-1)
The Stars, winners of six of their last seven games, are rounding into form after a shaky start. Sophomore pitcher Alessandra Samperio has keyed the hot streak, allowing just three earned runs with 49 strikeouts over her last 35 innings.
- This Week’s Best Deals: PC downloads, LucasArts Classics, and Guitar Hero Live
- This Week’s Best Deals: Nintendo Switch, Resident Evil 7, Undertale, and more
- This Week’s Best Deals: The Last Guardian, Contra figures, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and more
- This Week’s Best Deals: Blade Runner in 4K, Warhammer 40K discounts, gaming monitors, and more
- This Week’s Best Deals: Dishonored 2, amiibo figures, Overwatch, and more
- This Week’s Best Deals: Diablo 3, Gears of War 4, cheap Xbox Ones, and more
- All (?) 52 Highways And Parkways In The New York City Area, Ranked
- Jezebel's Hot 100: The Men We Love, Ranked
- Candy Bars, Ranked
- Spring Break Forever: A Week of Drinking With Cruise Ship Performers
- Famous Infant North West Finally Makes Her Modeling Debut
- Kanye West Is Out of the Hospital And Headed Home to 'Rest'
- This Week In Tabloids: Ben Affleck and Charlize Theron Are Fucking, and Kris Jenner's Nose Is Falling Off
- This Week in Tabloids: Beyoncé's in Love With Her Bodyguard
- All the highlights from TechRadar’s PC Gaming Week 2018
- This Week In The Business: Fallen Gods
- Booting up: The eight-week journey for the USAF's new airmen
- Fantasy Kardashian-Jenner League Rankings: High Stakes in Week 1
- For Gorilla Glass testers, life is a daily grind (and scratch and drop...)
- The Latest: Officials: Fire near UCLA not a campus threat
West moves back to the top in latest Daily Breeze softball rankings (week of 4-23) have 906 words, post on www.dailybreeze.com at April 23, 2018. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.