The most widely admired science-fiction film to come out of the 1980s, Blade Runner reimagined the nocturnal, seductive, and pessimistic qualities of film noir and its ’70s derivative, neo-noir, for the paranoid cityscape of the future: a dark, rainy, multi-lingual Los Angeles where a detective in a trench coat trails a gang of biomechanical replicants who escaped from an off-world colony. Released during a rich period for sci-fi, fantasy, and special-effects filmmaking—the same weekend as the sci-fi horror classic The Thing, just two weeks after E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, with Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan,Conan The Barbarian, and Poltergeist still in theaters—it was not initially a hit. But over the last 35 years and across multiple reedited re-releases, Blade Runner has grown exponentially in stature and influence, and and now looms over the genre, second only to2001: A Space Odyssey. With a belated sequel, Blade Runner 2049, opening in theaters this Friday, we at The A.V. Club couldn’t help but ask: What are the best sci-fi movies to come out since the original theatrical release of Ridley Scott’s masterpiece? Of course, some parameters had to be created, because the question of what is and isn’t sci-fi can become very tricky…. Read full this story
- 50 Brilliant Science Fiction Movies That Everyone Should See At Least Once
- The Biggest Scifi Movie Milestones of 2018
- The 50 best comedies since 2000
- Holiday Gift Guide: music, movies, books, and more
- New Mission Theater dusts off marquee, opens with ‘Star Wars’
- 33 Secrets You Probably Never Knew About the Making of
- What’s the worst movie you ever saw in the theater?
- Stars aligning for great Dungeness crab opener
- The weird and wacky secrets hidden deep under London
- The “Terminator” Franchise Has Let Sarah Connor Down
The 35 best science-fiction movies since have 289 words, post on www.avclub.com at October 5, 2017. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.