It is the month of November and the whole country is gearing up for the biggest festival of the year – Diwali, the festival of lights. This year the festival falls on 04 November. Diwali is celebrated all across the country with a lot of enthusiasm and fanfare. Friends and families get together to welcome Goddess Lakshmi into their homes. It is also a bonding time for everyone over card parties.
Apart from the grown-ups, kids too love Diwali. It is that time for them when they get to meet all their cousins from their extended family and enjoy the vacations.
They get to gorge on tons of sweets and can also get away with most of the things. Another thing that kids eagerly await to do during Diwali is bursting firecrackers.
Firecrackers have long been associated with Diwali. So much so that whenever there is a mention of the festival, the first thing that comes to our minds is a sky full of firecrackers.
Like all other Diwali customs and traditions, lighting firecrackers too have their own significance. The loud noise is said to send a message to the lords above about the abundant state of humans. It is also considered as a way to thank the gods for their blessings for health, wealth and happiness.
Firecrackers are enjoyed by children and adults alike. However, they are extremely dangerous if not handled with care. There is a steady increase in injuries related to firecrackers.
Often children are left unsupervised while playing with crackers and this results in injuries. Extreme caution has to be taken while bursting firecrackers. Children should be advised to burst them only under the supervision of adults.
As fire is involved in bursting the firecrackers, there are a lot of burn injuries reported during that time. Among all the casualties reported, eye injuries are on top of the list  .
Firecrackers are highly combustive. While bursting the crackers, people tend to direct their bodies away from the crackers but fail to keep their face at a safe distance. This is the reason why eye injuries are common  .
Eye injuries while bursting firecrackers may lead to temporary, sometimes, permanent damage to the eyes. Therefore, it is of utmost importance to take care while enjoying the festivities.
Ways To Prevent Eye Injuries During Diwali
- Always protect your eyes by wearing goggles while bursting crackers. This will prevent direct damage to the eyes.
- Never leave children unattended during the bursting. Make sure at least one of the adults is always there around. This will lessen the chances of injuries  .
- It is advisable to keep your face away while lighting the firecrackers.
- Always light the firecrackers away from inflammable substances and in the open air.
- People who regularly wear contact lenses should avoid them during this time as the smoke and dust may irritate the eyes.
- Keep a first aid kit handy in case of emergencies. Also keeping a bucket of water nearby may help in case of accidental fire.
- It is better to avoid highly combustible crackers as more heat the crackers require, the more chances of burn injuries  .
In an unfortunate event where there is an eye injury, here is what you can do –
- The first step is to wash the hands and the wounded eye properly with clean water. This will remove any chemical residue. It is important not to panic and keep cool  .
- Never rub the injured eye.
- Do not apply any cream or ointment to the injury.
- Do not bandage the wound. If it is bleeding keep a cotton pad and rush to your nearest doctor  .
Have a safe, clean and happy Diwali!
-  Seimon, R. (2005). Preventing blindness from eye injuries through health education. Community eye health, 18(55), 106.
-  Kumar, R., Puttanna, M., Sriprakash, K. S., Rathod, B. S., & Prabhakaran, V. C. (2010). Firecracker eye injuries during Deepavali festival: A case series. Indian journal of ophthalmology, 58(2), 157.
-  Verma, L., Arora, R., Tewari, H. K., & Khosla, P. K. (1994). Eye casualty department. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 87(4), 217.
-  Chakraborti, C., Giri, D., Choudhury, K. P., Mondal, M., & Datta, J. (2014). Paediatric ocular trauma in a tertiary eye care center in Eastern India. Indian journal of public health, 58(4), 278.
-  Alphonse, V. D., Kemper, A. R., Strom, B. T., Beeman, S. M., & Duma, S. M. (2012). Mechanisms of eye injuries from fireworks. JAMA, 308(1), 33-34.
-  Gupta, P. C., & Ram, J. (2017). Eye injury from a firecracker. New England journal of medicine, 376(26), 2579-2579.
bollywood wardrobePriyanka Chopra Jonas Gives Traditional Spin To Western Retro Look; We Feel This Style Will Trend
bollywood wardrobeDiwali 2021: Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor And Shanaya Kapoor Wow Us With Their Festive Wear
bollywood wardrobeDiwali 2021: Khushi Kapoor, Katrina Kaif And Other Divas Have Awesome Lehenga Goals For Us
bollywood wardrobeDiwali 2021: Shraddha Kapoor Will Inspire You To Wear Light And Colourful Outfits For Intimate Celebrations
festivalsChoti Diwali/ Naraka Chaturdashi 2021: Date, Shubh Muhurat, History And Significance
womenLegend Of Goddess Lakshmi And Significance Of Worshipping Her On Lakshmi Puja In Diwali
bollywood wardrobeDiwali 2021: Genelia Deshmukh, Kajal Aggarwal, And Rakul Preet Singh Inspire Us With Their Festive Suits
bollywood wardrobeDiwali 2021: Mustard Yellow Saree Goals Ft. Keerthy Suresh And Karisma Kapoor
festivalsDiwali 2021: Ashtottara Shatanamavali Of Goddess Kali, 108 Names And Significance
bollywood wardrobeDiwali 2021: Athiya Shetty, Huma Qureshi And Saiee M Manjrekar Give Us Modern Ethnic Outfit Ideas
festivalsKali Puja 2021: Best Wishes, Greetings, Messages, Quotes, Status for Your Loved Ones On Diwali
bollywood wardrobeSara Ali Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez, And Other Divas Make A Strong Case For Contemporary Sarees
- Diwali 2019: Ways To Prevent Eye Injuries During Diwali
- Tips From Ophthalmologists To Prevent Vision Loss
- Thalapathy 65: Vijay Starrer To Start Rolling From January And Release On Diwali 2021?
- Simple Makeup Tricks To Make Your Eyes Look Big
- 6 Ways You Can Make Your Eyes Beautiful Without Using Any Products Or Home Remedies
- Diwali 2020: Rashami Desai Flaunts Festive-Perfect Outfits, Which One Will You Pick?
- Mouni Roy does pre-Diwali fashion right, looks refreshing in Rs 3.5k black cotton silk sharara set
- For two-wheeler companies, Diwali may arrive on a Mobike this festive season
- Coronavirus | Schools not to reopen in Maharashtra before Diwali, says Education Minister
- Eye Make-up Looks To Wear With Face Mask This Festive Season
- Diwali 2020: Significance Of Amavasya On This Auspicious Day
- Dog Bite: First Aid Treatment And Ways To Prevent It
- 7,000 tonnes of onion already imported; another 25,000 tonnes arriving before Diwali
- Pandemic steals sheen of Diwali parties
- Here’s how Tahira Kashyap plans to celebrate this Diwali with Ayushmann Khurrana
- "Save common man's Diwali": RBI to lending institutions
- Hispanic caucus report takes stock of accomplishments with eye toward 2021
- How To Prevent Oily Eyelids From Ruining Your Make-up
- Archie Comics opens up on 2020 challenges and preparations for 80th anniversary in 2021
- Joe Biden: There's a smarter way to be tough on Iran
Diwali 2021: Ways To Prevent Eye Injuries During Diwali have 1149 words, post on www.boldsky.com at October 19, 2017. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.