People in colder and less sunny regions of the world have higher rates of alcoholic cirrhosis, a disease caused by excessive drinking which results in irreversible scarring of the liver, scientists have found.
A new data from more than 190 countries presented on Saturday at the International Liver Congress 2017 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, suggests that every increase in temperature of one degree Celsius was linked with a decrease in the alcohol-attributable fraction (AAF) of cirrhosis of 0.3 per cent.
Heavy alcohol intake causes a perception of warmth, while fewer sunlight hours have been linked to depression, which, in turn, may lead to alcohol abuse. As a result, the researchers hypothesised that colder countries would have higher rates of alcohol consumption and therefore an increased burden of alcoholic cirrhosis.
“Our research reveals that a country’s climate and geographical location have a startling influence on the burden of liver cirrhosis,” said lead author Dr Neil D. Shah, and senior author Dr Ramon Bataller from the University of North Carolina.
“As average temperatures and yearly hours of sunshine decrease and latitude increases, rates of alcohol-attributable cirrhosis increase. This suggests that drinking alcohol excessively to combat the cold and dark could put people at increased risk of suffering from alcoholic cirrhosis.”
In the univariate analysis conducted by researchers, there was an inverse association between mean average temperature, mean annual sunshine hours and a positive association with absolute latitude with AAF.
In the multivariate analysis, average temperature and sunshine hours remained independently associated with the burden of alcohol-attributable liver cirrhosis or AAF after adjusting for the percentage of binge drinkers among active drinkers and alcohol consumption.
With Inputs From IANS
health106 Deaths In Delhi In January Due To Cold, Claims NGO; Officials Deny
healthCommon Cold T Cells May Offer Protection Against COVID-19: UK Study
wellnessSuperfoods That Can Help Treat Cough During The Winter Season
wellnessHow Does Garlic Help You Stay Healthy During The Winter Season?
wellnessWhat Is Camphor? Medicinal Benefits, Uses And Side Effects
wellness12 Healthy And Hot Beverages For Monsoon
wellnessInternational Yoga Day 2022: Effective Yoga Asanas And Poses For Cold And Flu
wellness10 Things That Happen To Your Body And Mind When You Don’t Eat Enough Food
disorders cureEverything You Need To Know About The Common Cold And Flu
wellnessWorld Toilet Day 2020: Infections You Can Catch From A Dirty Toilet
wellness12 Common Health Mistakes To Avoid During Winters
wellnessCurd, Alcohol, Candies And Other Foods To Avoid When You Have Common Cold
- UK weather forecast – Heavy rain and snow to hit Britain today in chilly start to weekend
- South African alcohol ban stirs frustration but may free up hospitals
- I'm proud of my sun-kissed face! It was the candid selfie that laid bare the dramatic effects of years of blissful outdoor living. But a defiant ULRIKA JONSSON insists she feels no shame over her weather-beaten appearance
- Woman, 37, whose cold sores made her lips swell and feel like they were being constantly 'stabbed by hot pins' praises £8.50 liquorice balm for clearing up her symptoms in DAYS
- Britain records 148 Covid deaths in last 24 hours - more than double last Saturday's total - three weeks after shops were allowed to reopen in first major easing of lockdown
- At battlefield 20,000 feet high, cold is the main killer
- High temperatures impact 54million Americans living in the South's Sun Belt, bringing heat stroke and other related illnesses to states already struggling with record COVID-19 surges
- South Africa's new alcohol ban sparks fury
- Coronavirus: South Africa's new alcohol ban sparks fury
- Sir Patrick Vallance strikes again with warning that coronavirus challenges 'will be very much greater' in winter - just hours after Boris pledged 'life would be back to normal by CHRISTMAS'
- What cinemas will look like when they reopen on July 4 with fewer seats and no pick and mix
- UK announces 363 more coronavirus deaths in hospitals as official figures reveal London and East of England reported NO new COVID-19 cases for 24 hours
- Spain is open! The first Brits touch down for some sun as price of a one-week holiday drops to £300 and beaches open to holidaymakers TODAY
- UK announces 38 more coronavirus deaths as second lowest rise since lockdown takes the official toll to 41,736 - and Scotland and Northern Ireland record NO fatalities in the past 24 hours
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: Trump campaign insists weather caused rally to be postponed
- 7 Best patio heaters 2020 to buy for your garden this summer
- Great Summer Getaway begins: Motorways 'look like cross between a caravan and a boat show' as official school holidays start for many families amid 84F heat with scorching weekend on way
- How susceptible are you to COVID-19? These simple hacks could help fight it
- Heatwaves make us horny – from daredevil romps in the sea and park to having sex three times a DAY
- Queen's aides hit a 'deadlock' as they try to finalise details of Megxit deal and the future of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after couple announced plan to quit royal life
Cold Weather, Fewer Sun Hours Increase Alcoholic Cirrhosis have 864 words, post on www.boldsky.com at April 29, 2017. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.